Could conneticut be my safety with these stats?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Could conneticut be my safety with these stats?
By Y17k (Y17k) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 04:05 am: Edit

SAT: 1480 (avg from about 6 sats from 10 RS)
School Rank: 3/120

EC: Violin for ~8 years,
school orchestra for 8 years
school choir for 5 years
kung fu for 1.5 years
Top state orchestra for 1.5 years
Community Service once every 2 weeks (only coz its compulsory in my school >_<)

Awards: Many awards from school, but major ones would be

Prize Winner of the Westpac Math Competition (Top .3% of about 500,000 competitors)

Premier's Award for Legal Studies (Awarded to the top scorer for the subject of legal studies in the state of Victoria)

Btw im an international student currently residing in australia. I want to major in zoology (or possibly astronomy/astrophysics), and others' opinions of reaches/mathes/safeties will be appreciated

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

connecticut what? Connecticut College or University of Connecticut?

By Y17k (Y17k) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

conneticut college

By Lonelygal (Lonelygal) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:18 am: Edit

i'd say it would be a match or low reach....not safety...

meh.....

SAT:1490
Class rank: Top 1% of 250+ students(probably rank 2)

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

I know saying this is unpopular, but from where I'm standing Conn is a safety for you (particularly if you are male.) Combination of music, math and scores/grades makes you an 99%+ sure bet unless your essay/interview are disastrous. I've seen an awful lot of students from this area get in the there the last few years that don't hold a candle to those numbers.

Check if they have undergraduate majors in any of the three things you mentioned--I'm not sure but I doubt they do.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

The fact that you're an international student makes it hard to denote safeties.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Conn college is is a good school, and not a safety for anyone.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Didn't notice that you were international--if you need lots of aid, then its a different story. But its certainly a match in any event, going by the numbers. Conn is an excellent school, but could be considered a safety for many top students.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

I agree with Sooky. I have no idea how it would work for an international student however.

When someone has a safety school ,it is all relative. Conn College would not be a safety for many students. For some it is a safety school or "low" match, maybe not a sure guarantee but fair enough to use as one of their safety schools. In my view, that is not a bad thing. I think you need to really love your safety school, and it should not feel like the booby prize. So, your safety school does not have to be soooo easy to get into or so non-selective, IF you have higher end credentials. My daughter has qualifications not that far off the original poster (though is NOT international), actually higher ones such as first in class and more substantial extracurriculars, etc. Not trying to truly compare but suffice it to say her credentials are more than on par with that poster and she has ConnCollege as one of her safety schools, not the only one. However, she would be very happy to go there and likes it very much. It surely is not a consolation prize in her book. I cannot guarantee that she will get in but she surely is more than qualified for that school, thus it is a safety on her list. I do not agree with the poster who thought that Conn College is not a safety for anyone. I could agree that the reach schools on my D's list are a reach for anybody though!
Susan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page