My Chances at these Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: My Chances at these Schools
By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

What are my chances at the following schools?
NYU(Tisch), USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Dartmouth, Harvard, Northwestern, Boston University, University of Michigan and Washington University in St. Louis

GPA (Somewhat weighted): 3.76
White catholic male
SAT: 700 V 680 M (1380 composite)
SAT II's 740 Writing, 710 MathIC, 700 US History
6 AP's
Top Ten %
3 Years School Newspaper
1 year sports editor of school newspaper
2 years speech and debate
2003 state qualifer in speech
1 year academic decathlon
Academic mentor
lots of babysitting
1 year film appreciation club
1 year california scholarship foundation
1 year teen court
good essays and recommendations

I know the ivy's are a stretch, but what about the rest of the schools? I'm applying primarily for english.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

btw...I live in california

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

One more thing...

I intervied for USC and Harvard...both went really well. I have Northwestern at the end of the month.

Does Northwestern value speech as much as I've heard?

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

Id say you have an OK shot at all except the Ivies. To answer your second question yes- Northwestern places a large emphasis on oral and communcation ability.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

bump

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

As you probably know, your chances are best at BU. They are also good at UCLA and USC, but you can't count on either one.

If deadlines still allow, I'd add a couple of less-selective universities to your list. For english, speech-communication and journalism Minnesota and Ohio State are worth a look, as is Syracuse University.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Nah...I already got safties lined-up...these are just my more competitve/reach schools. And I was a resident of Ohio for 12 years, and it'd suck to have to pay out-of-state fees for OSU now.

My safties, BTW: UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego and Chapman.

I feel I'll get into my safties, UCLA or Berkeley, but probably not both, USC, Boston and Michigan. Harvard and Dartmouth are no's. Washigton, im not that sure about, but I really only applied because it was on the common app. And Northwestern is a maybe because I've been successful in speech and have fairly competitve, but not wonderful stats for the school.

NYU is my first choice...and normally I feel I'd get in. But im applying Tisch for Dramatic Writing...so I don't know how that'll go.

Anyway, thanks to the people that have helped so far. Any more advice would be appreciated.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

bump

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

bump

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

add stanford to your list.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Seriously? I felt that Stanford was a bit out of my range...

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Very good chance at USC; pretty sure you're in.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

bump once again...why not?

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:55 am: Edit

We were told at Parents Weekend that USC's average for the entering class this year (2003) was 1342. It will probably be higher for 2004, but I think the 1380 and your other credentials make you a good candidate.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

If you're applying for English, consider some LACs like Middlebury, Wesleyan, Williams, Amherst, Colgate, Hamilton, Haverford, Swarthmore, Bowdoin, Colby, Bates, and Tufts, among others.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

bump

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

bump

By Skyhawk (Skyhawk) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Aclockworkowens - a gentle reminder: please do not bump repeatedly. It drives the moderators crazy. Instead, try asking additional questions to keep your post alive. -Moderator Skyhawk

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Well, I'm now in the top 5% of my class, so that could help with some mid-year reports.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page