Chances at Johns Hopkins...Special interest

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances at Johns Hopkins...Special interest
By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Im a junior and JHU is by far my first choice. I am considering applying ED but im still a little concerned. If anyone could give me some advice on my shot at getting in thatd be really helpful. Heres a lil info

Gpa 3.6
sat II 750, 750
Sat I - taking them next week but my lowest math on a "real" practice test is 790 and my english avg is around 750 so im confident ill do alright
Im taking all ap and honors classes

My little niche is neuroscience. by the time i graduate i will have done signifigant work in 4 labs with 3 resulting in publishable projects. Ive had a tremendous research experience with great mentors. Ive started a program that is working towards expanding neuroscience education earlier in school. Im working with some groups on establishing a scholarship for less privelaged high school students who want to pursue research in college. Ive started a local lecture series and given a few talks myself. i went to one of those JHU Summer programs a few years ago. Ive earned a bunch of awards and things for my work. I did some work for PBS and for a health consulting firm in the past for community service as well.Ive met with several leading active neuroscientists. ive done a couple other things but im blanking at the moment but you get the idea...my recs are from no less than 2 from phds (one who was at JHU) and one other from an alumni at least (plus teachers)... i dunno all those will add anything but i geuss you guys will tell me bout that too

Im going to hopkins to visit and am meeting with a few profs (and a dr at NIH), 1 of the depts im working in now has a great connection with JHU so ive gotten to talk to a lot of people. Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated, im pretty nervous because of my lower GPA and no sports so im anxious to see what you all think

By Wanttotransfer (Wanttotransfer) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Hey, your stats look really good. I think that you have a fair chance of getting in; of course, nothing is for certain. I suggest that if you are 100% positive that you want to go to JHU you should apply ED - your chances then would sky rocket and I'm pretty sure you will get in that way.

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

wow lol thats uplifting...i think the worst part of applying to tough schools is no1 is ever a 'sure' shot...do you think the profs there who are friends of the people i work with here can help out, provided they like me?

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

n does any1 have any ideas about other things i could to, maybe to strengthen my case a little if it would help?

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

bump

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

help..anyone?

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

k this is my last bump. can i get a few more comments before i just forget about this post (i have another one in the US News JHU board if anyone wants to go there) BUMP

By Psychokitty627 (Psychokitty627) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

JHU loves CTYers. LOVES them. Come fall you'll start getting info - they shipped stuff all the way to japan for me - and e-mails and the like. They even sent me a pdf application with basic information they had on me filled out, and said they'd give me an extension on the deadline even tho I'd never really expressed interest in applying. Plus your stats look amazing.. so I'd say you're basically in.

As for anything else you could do... e-mail them and ask specific questions. My guidance counselor says they keep track of every time you get in contact with them, and if it's you or someone equally good, they'll take the person who's shown more interest - thru number of times they've written and such. Academically, I don't think there's really much else you can do.. and they definitely don't expect everyone to be an athlete.

Good luck!

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:16 am: Edit

lol thanx, i knew that CTY thing would come in handy! ill get on writing to admissions, thats a good idea, thanx again

By Psychokitty627 (Psychokitty627) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:12 am: Edit

just out of curiosity, when/where did you do CTY? It would be interesting if you knew someone I know...

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

thats a good question...i believe i was in 7th or 8th grade and it was at roger williams university

By Psychokitty627 (Psychokitty627) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:40 am: Edit

hmm.. ok i don't know anyone who went there... I always went to Loyola Marymount.

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

oh well...so anymore advice? im glad people think i have some shot at getting in...its look like a better and better idea to go ED...i have my trip in 3 weeks and im really excited!!! my time there is gonna be totally booked with prof meetings but i hope to spend some time just hanging out!!...i have what may be a very stupid question but maybe you guys can help...i dont this pertains to me but i know schools will try and recruit on the basis of athletic and artistic potential as well as based on grades and scores, but do they ever recruit for things like scienctific interest? or do too many people do it? basically is there any that chance a professors interest in bringing me into a school can influence the admissions people? or does that not happen?

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

does anyone know?

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

anyone at all...i hate to keep bugging people but im very nervous in general :)

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

oh btw i just founded a new club and some teachers asked me to expand my 'education for kids' thing into 'education for teachers on how to teach kids' but i dont know if im going to do that yet

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

bump

By Exerful (Exerful) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

i'd say you have a very good chance. you're doing a lot of unique things, and that helps mucho. you have a solid gpa, and if you do as well as you say you will on your SAT I, you're golden, especially if you apply ED. take it easy. good luck!

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

lol thanks im just one of those people who needs outside validation...hopefully you guys are right and ED is looking sweet...thanks again for ur help and anyone else with advice feel free to comment further!

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

my last bumb, and if not, check out my post in the usnews jhu board, i had some additional questions if anyone knows about jhu specifics, thanks! thanks to everyone who already answered

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page