CalTech chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: CalTech chances
By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Hi everyone! Im a white male from a suburban New York public school--one of the most competitive public high school's in the country (we round our GPA to 4 places) Anyway, i was wondering if you guys would take a look at my stats and tell me what my chanes are are Cal Tech:

SAT--took it 3x
800M/760 V
800M/780V
800M/780V

SAT II's
Math IIC-800; Physics 800; Chem-800; Bio(M)-800; Writing-780; Spanish-780

GPA:4.44/4.5

Took all honors classes till i was able to take AP's

American History-5
Physics B-5
Spanish-4
Chem-5
Calc BC-5 (i took calc as a junior, as I was a year ahead in math)
Stat-5
Lang-5
Music Theory-4

AP's this year: European History, Literature, Art History (this is a bunclde of humanities courses called Recurring Themes), Economics, Physics C, and Bio

EC's

Science Olympiad Captain since 10th grade
President of Math Honor Society
President of National Honor Society
Columbia University summe research program
Intel Science semi-finalist
Secretary of school band
Marching Band
Jazz band
Wind ensemble
JV/Varsity Basketball all 4 years --Captain senior year
Spring Track team all 4 years
DECA member
FBLA member
Spanish Honor Society
Rec ice hockey player
Started a tutoring club at my school

Work experience: got a job at a local science observatory (Lahmont Doherty)-since 10th grade

Great recs from my boss, physics teacher, and calc teacher

Essay was also very good (very personal)

--Already accepted in Stanford, by Cal Tech is my first choice. What do you think?

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Hey, just wondering, what summer research program did you attend at Columbia? I know they offer summer classes but I wasn't aware that they offered a research program too. Could you possibly give me some info about it?

BTW, it looks like you have excellent chances at CalTech. If you got accepted at Stanford, then there shouldn't be a problem at CalTech. Then again, I don't know too much about west coast schools. :P

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

"If you got accepted to Stanford, then there shouldn't any problem at Caltech"

Don't post if you dont know what you are talking about. Caltech is often deemed the hardest school in the country to get into. Just look at their freshman profile, you won't find one that's stronger academically. That said, I think he has a good chance cause his profile is nearly flawless and he is an Intel semifinalist

Dumplingdude, what kinds of awards do you have. Have you qualified for any of the Olympiads? That would be a clincher

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Your stats put you in Cal Tech's admissions game...but they only accept about 12% or less of applicants so I'd say your chances are basically a little above that. They have to admit someone, however - and hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones. Good luck!!!!!

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

You have a great chance, I must say.

By Nycschoolss (Nycschoolss) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Dumplingdude - What high school do you go to in New York ?

By Myoryu (Myoryu) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

nearly perfect stat and intel semi-finalist definitely help. I think you have a good chance at Caltech. If you have any awards in national/international level, I think you are definitely in.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

Correction to Carolyn: CalTech accepts about 23% of its applicants. It's because it generally has fewer and more qualified applicants than say Harvard where anyone with a 1300 or higher applies blindly hoping to get in.

Anyway, CalTech is NOT the hardest school to get into. Yes, they have the highest SAT average of all schools, but that's because they'll admit anyone academically strong with no ECs whereas Princeton, Harvard, and even MIT does not hesitate to reject a 1600 if he has weak ECs.

Lastly, Dumplingdude is a surefire in for any school in the nation he applies to. I'm not sure why he even needs anyone to reassure him that...1580 SATs, 8 AP scores by the end of his junior year, varsity sport captain, NHS president...

Finally! As a word of advice, apply for CalTech's merit full scholarship! You would have a pretty good chance at winning it.

By Y17k (Y17k) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

if you are not chinese ill give u my arm

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

bump

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Why do you ask your chances? You have almost the best stats possible.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Why did you keep taking the SAT's, even after getting a 1580?

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

"Anyway, CalTech is NOT the hardest school to get into. Yes, they have the highest SAT average of all schools, but that's because they'll admit anyone academically strong with no ECs whereas Princeton, Harvard, and even MIT does not hesitate to reject a 1600 if he has weak ECs."

And what exactly do you base this on?

I know several 1600 3x800's 4.0's that have gotten rejected from Caltech. This stereotype is old and has no foundation in truth.

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

bump

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

bump

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

bump

By Manowar (Manowar) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Why did you retake a 1560 and a 1580?

By Nataly (Nataly) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

Dude, when do you ever find time to sleep? I'm impressed!

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

lol all i can say is wow.
ur gonna get in =D

By Amylase (Amylase) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:52 am: Edit

nataly,

no surprise, i'm 1580, but i might try again for 1600.

Why? to show that i, a not so intelligent kid, with hard work could also beat the over glorified SAT

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page