Blair Hornstein

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Blair Hornstein
By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

I know this has nothing to do with nothing,, but Remember that kid who sued to become the sole valedictorian? Who claimed a disease that allowed her to be home schooled her high school's expense, and allotted her extra time on the SATs and SAT2's? The one that plagarized some newspaper article, which got her admissions from Harvard rescinded? Anyway, I was just wondering where she is now, out of morbid curiosity (she lived a town or two away from me and it was really big news here in NJ a while back).

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Ugh... even her name is dirty-sounding.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Did you by any chance watch Boston Public this past week? They had a storyline about a girl who was suing to be the sole president of the honor society (which they explained was often a predictor of who was to be valedictorian that year). However, it was her co-president that was disabled.

I just thought it was interesting.

But yeah, I'm curious too. I swear I heard someone on another board say that she ended up at Tufts, but I don't think Tufts would let someone in who was a known plagiarist.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

She's at Cornell, last I heard.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

I really, really, sincerely hope she's not. I hope she went to a community college to spend a few years thinking about the way she acted and maturing to the point where she's ready for a real college. I pray Cornell wouldn't accept her. (I did a people search on Cornell's website for Blair Hornstine and nothing came up... she prolly wouldn't be listed b/c she's high profile but still it made me feel a bit better, haha)

By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Same here... the loathing I feel for her is typically reserved for perpetrators of crimes of physical magnitude. I dont know why I feel this way, but I think it might have to do with her "at all costs" persona.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Fallen no i didnt catch it but it sounds interesting... ill look out for the rerun.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Can't be very comfortable living in Blair Hornstein's skin, nowadays. No matter where she ends up, lots of people will recognize the name and treat her with contempt. Hopefully, she fully understands the depth of her error and can recover from it. She's too young for her life to be so deeply stained, even though she did bring it on herself. America is about second chances. I hope Blair gets one of those.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Boston Public was definitely based on BH. They really skewered her.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

What I loved about BP is that it kept the storyline open - it's clearly not over. I'm curious to see what else happens with the character later in the season.

I read somewhere that she originally got accepted to Cornell (as well as Duke, Princeton, and one other school - can't remember which), but it was too late to enroll in the freshmen class by the time Harvard rescinded her acceptance. Hypothetically, however, that would be true of most colleges.

lol maybe she's at some college with an assumed name - I don't think anyone really has much of an idea of what she looks like.

But yeah. It sucks to be her. I almost feel badly for her. Who knows? Perhaps she's not unGodly manipulative but in fact shockingly ignorant.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Actually I saw a picture of her in the paper, and on the web somewhere...
I heard her brother went to Harvard before her. Perhaps it was that competitiveness thing that drove her over the edge. Regardless, her acts are not permissable under any means.

By Sid_Mathur (Sid_Mathur) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2326344/detail.html

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

search for blair hornstine and maybe it'll work.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

I really don't think she goes to Cornell. I am a student at Cornell, and I am sure that if she were there, I would have heard something about it.

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

I thought she sued Harvard after they rejected her and they had to let her in
?

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

"As the Philly Inquirer reports:

Hornstine had been accepted not only at Harvard, but also at Princeton, Duke, Stanford and Cornell Universities. Officials at those schools said it was too late for any student who had turned down an acceptance to enroll in the freshman class.

So, in conclusion, Hornstine has no friends, no supports, and no college.

But, she has $15,000."

Well now, that sucks. BY the way, I didn't understand the Boston Public episode. I mean, how can you be appointed valedictorian?

By Sid_Mathur (Sid_Mathur) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

she's not even hot

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Not that it matters, but it's weird how they describe her as "the beautiful lawyer's daughter" in this one news mag

By Libsters (Libsters) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Ohhh ... I know about her .. She was from ... Moorsetown , NJ right? She won the national Discover Card Tribute Award Scholarship the year before last ... I never heard of any of this random stuff happening to her tho ... or the stuff that she did rather ... how messed up

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up at Tufts...after all, they did take in the girl who murdered her mother and had her admissions rescinded by Harvard back in 95 or so. (admittedly, it was in self defense; the mother was drunk and attacking her with a knife.)

Anyways, from what I've heard it was her father who initiated all that brouhaha about the valedictorian thing, and used his influence as a judge to make sure she won the case. I'd like to cut her some slack, we're all human and young, but in any case I don't think I'd be particularly inclined to sharing a class with her...

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

After a bit too much Googling and other investigation, I have come to the tentative conclusion that even Blair probably doesn't know where she's enrolled this year. :)

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

She had it made. I don't understand. She was going to Harvard. And she couldn't freakin share a WORTHLESS title? And she threw it all away. I just don't understand.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

Yeah, that's what gets me too..

I had a friend who's at Tufts check the Tufts database...nope, no Hornsteins there.

By Judeezy36 (Judeezy36) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:10 am: Edit

yea hornstein lives a couple towns away from me too.. they said it was peer pressure from her parents mostly ( i believe it) her dad is a judge.. a quirky one

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

If tufts took her, my respect for that college has diminished greatly. Why would ANYONE take a plagarizer? Isn't that the Forbidden Fruit of academics?... they want her sats and her gpa to boost their stats. its basically a deal with the devil. They accept her plagarizing so they can look better in US News, etc. pathetic. its a crazy mixed up world we live in. argh, now im peeved.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

By the way... reason you guys couldn't find her on the databases for various colleges is probably because she changed her name. Only an idiot or a Kennedy would keep their name after events like the ones she has caused.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Your friend looked up the wrong name; it's Hornstine, not Hornstein.

At some high schools, valedictorian isn't given to the student with the highest GPA - sometimes kids have to hand in drafts of speeches that get voted on or are elected by their peers, etc. - in response to the kid that didn't get Boston Public.

By Nycdebater (Nycdebater) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

collegebound.net/studentrewards/scholarships/discover.html

this is her talkin about the discover card tribute award.....for osme reason her name just reminds me of somethin truly evil....i dont kno why...but im scared when i hear her name lol...like she be doin witch craft.....lolz<~~...hahaha..seriously though

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Seeing her picture and reading her quotes has almost convinced me that Satan exists.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

LOL NYCdebater you mean like the Blair witch project hahaha yeah hornstine seems like... a monster out of a Dr. Suess novel with the candy striped horns and stuff. hahah witchcraft...funny tho

lol i wont stoop so low as to make fun of her looks, but her tendancies annoy me to say the least

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Now, you guys. Don't let this get locked...

She's still a human being, regardless of whatever she did.

By Lucianno (Lucianno) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Barely human, you mean.

By Madhouse (Madhouse) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

i think she just want to be famous (or infamous, lol)...she could careless about Harvard or whatever...lol

By Madhouse (Madhouse) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

maybe...she even did all those on purpose...
OH~~~Damn! :P

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

you guys sound like you if have never made a mistake in your lives...

By Madhouse (Madhouse) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

oOOOO~~~and U have???? lol

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Exactly, Wjk323. She made a mistake.

Yes, a mistake.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen, and whatnot.

But those of you who joyfully chastise her and act as if you'd stone her if you had the chance must have a rather large chip on your shoulders if you're still persecuting her today, and acting as if she's still trying to sue her way into Harvard or any other school when she obviously is not. Don't you think she's suffered enough already, what with the number of things that fell apart in her life after the story broke out?

I'm sure that the denial of admission from Harvard soon became the least of her problems. Do you really need to heap one more coal on a public burning? Put yourself in her place, for one moment, if you could ever imagine such a thing. If you could ever imagine making a horrible mistake and admitting that you weren't quite as infallible as you'd thought. Would you deserve a second chance, or would the world be a better place if you were shamed for the rest of your life?

I truly hope none of you are ever put in the position she was in this past year, and that you someday learn the meaning of compassion -- not to mention forgiveness.

You certainly seem to know a lot about hypocrisy.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

It's not as if she made one huge disastrous mistake that was out of line with her character, it is like deceit is integral part of her personality. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.

That's what scares me...and that's why so many people seem to want to burn her in effigy.

By Strick (Strick) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Quoting a Supreme Court ruling in an article without citing it properly seems more like inexperience than out and out plagerism. The valedictorian mess her parents got her into and the reactions most of you have to her and her problems seem to confirm that this college admissions stuff is getting out of hand.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Strick

It was not just the Supreme Ct. ruling...but other speeches, including Pres. Clinton's address to the nation, which was lifted in an egregious manner. She showed a pattern of plagiarizing other people's material.

By Neona (Neona) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

"She showed a pattern of plagarizing other people's material"

Therefore, she deserves to be burned in effigy?

By Njgrl (Njgrl) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

There's so many things about her including the plagarism.. ppl's opinions on her may vary but from what i've heard, she's someone i really don't have a high opinion of

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I do not think that a girl who mistakenly plagiarized would not get her admission rescinded unless there were something else to it. I am saying "mistakenly" under the assumption that she is innocent until proven guilty. Also, I do not think the suing of her school is what made Harvard see her as an incessant b*tch. After all, she said it was her father who made her do all this. There has to be something more to it. I think that it's just her personality that made Harvard decide to take away her admission. People who knew her always described her as a very competitive, cut throat kind of person. I am sure this was transparent, and is what pushed Harvard over the edge.

Do not feel sorry for her because she was an innocent little girl who made an innocent mistake, who had an insane father. If this were the whole truth, Harvard would have not done what they had done. They saw that she was a cheating, lying, plagiarizing, manipulative b*tch.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

That's not all, of course...She's a liar and took advantage of the system....

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

In many different ways...You apparently don't know her story.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

I actually do know a bit of her story (anyone who took the time to google her would as well), and I didn't call her innocent, or even mention her father in either of my posts. However, it's quite easy to throw stones. I just wouldn't be so quick to judge; it's easy to speed past reasonable grounds and think you know all you need to know about a situation, when you very well might not.

Calling her vulgar names doesn't make her any less of a person. I don't understand that aspect of it; did she harm you in any way? Did she affect Your chances of getting into Harvard? Did you live in her home for six months during the semester leading up to the news reports and determine just what kind of a person she was, thereby enabling you to degrade her on an internet message board?

Again, calling her...whatever you called her above doesn't help her or the situation in any way...I sincerely hope it doesn't make you feel like a better person. It simply reflects even more poorly on those whom insist on casting the stones long after the body has stopped breathing.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

She didn't have to do anything to me personally...She offends any decent, hard working individual, especially me, because I have a REAL disability.

I'm sure her father has her future fixed...You are wasting energy worrying about her. Worry about someone who is worth it.

By T2opine (T2opine) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Like was said before, Harvard wouldn't have rescinded her admission unless they had a real reason. No I don't know her whole story. However, I do know that because of all of this, she's not exactly someone I think highly of. Not like it really matters what I think though...

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:12 am: Edit

I agree with Neo.

Honestly speaking, I dont know anything about Blair Hornstein and seriously i dont really care. This topic of Hornstein has been discussed many times here in CC and everytime it starts with an innocent question such as, "What happened to her?" It ends up, with flaming and malicious name calling. You do NOT know her. Im wondering if most of you get some malicious satisfaction everytime you denounce somebody. I know enough that Hornstein made a huge mistake but still all of us WILL make a small or big mistake in our lives. If you do not think highly of a person, than keep it to yourselves, dont post them in a public site so you can influnce/contaminate other people's minds.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

I think it should be plain to see why she offends me so much.

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Hey, at least she's attrac...nvm.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

dont u guys realize that her only crime was getting picked up by the major news outlets?

I mean she probably is a despicable person, but this has been blown way, way out of proportion.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

I think the reason why so many people are incensed by what she did is that it takes away from the copious amounts of work that we have done *legitamately* throughout our high school careers to get to where we are now. What she has done essentially, is cheat the system. She claimed to have chronic fatigue sydrome, but I have read that she now takes a full 17 credit semester... that does not add up. She abused the system that we all had to live by, broke the rules that we all had to play by, and what was her reward? Almost a full ride to Harvard, until she got caught.

I agree with Neo in saying that this should not be a lynching. If I saw her, I would try my best to treat her the same as I would anyone else as hard as it might be. However, my attempts to refrain from being mean to her would not mitigate my contempt for her actions.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

LET'S BAN YOU FROM FURTHER POSTING!

...MODERATOR

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

=D> Concur!

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

um ok

You know, the mob mentality that is adopted in cases like this can be quite troubling.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:40 am: Edit

"This has been blown way, way out of proportion."

I agree.

By Pchuck85 (Pchuck85) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

I THINK WE SHOULD ....BAN YOU FROM COLLEGECONFIDENTIAL.COM!

~Peace, Love, and Harmony to all! Check ya later
;-) -Love, Windsong (My nature name)

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Who wants to bet on how long it will be before the Mods censor the above post?

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Sigh. Thread closed. The pattern of Blair Hornstine's behavior as reported is certainly reprehensible and is testament to just how excessive the attitudes about college admissions have become.

However, some of the posts in this thread don't make the posters look like wonderful human beings, either.

--Moderator Obiwan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page