Personality

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Personality
By diana on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Is it me or am i the ONLY one that thinks personality might have a little bit of a difference in who gets in and who doesn't? Come I know that most of you guys are prolly overachievers...but, isn't having a 1600, 5 bazillion ap's, and tons of ec's going to make into a hermit? anyways, I just want to know if personality does play a part in the admissions process.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

not really, no. legacy and race mean a heck lot more than personality. but above all, good scores/grades/courseload/EC's are preferable.
i know lots of "boring" ppl who got accepted into good schools, but just had the "1600, 5 bazillion ap's, and tons of ec's" and decent essays.
personality? nah, that's totally subjective. sad, but true.

By Alincoln on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Diana, I think that personality plays a huge part in college acceptances for selected schools. For example, according to their website, Cornell hotel management wants to see an ambitious 'people' person who enjoys making money. Some schools want to see 'intangible qualities,' whatever that means. Personality is a pretty large factor in what a person wants to do with his education. One person may want to use their degree to settle down at a job while another may want to make an impact on his respective industry. Also, the academic difference between candidates at top schools is so minute that personality (also reflected through which type of EC's you choose to pursue) may be part of the deciding factor. If I were on the adcom, I would make character a priority. In a sea of qualified candidates, one whose personality jumps out at me will definitely grab my attention.

By mo on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

i agree. there IS a reason why sooo many 1600's don't get in. it's because they are sad anal retentive tools....BORING. completely lack personality and their only goal in life is to score a perfect on everything. they are also probably ugly and try to make up for it by studying alot. how very very sad.

By AACOOL on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

PERSONALITY PLAYS A BIG PART, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE BLACK...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page