My letter of rec.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: My letter of rec.
By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Isnt it nice that you can see and translate your LR here in Brazil on your own? Well, here it goes mine and warn me of any spelling/grammar/sense mistakes in it. What yall think?

I have taught physics to Gabriel in his second year of High School at Padre Eustaquio High School during the year of 2002.

Gabriel is a student with a very high potential of learning and achievement. He would succeed at anything if he felt both motivated and stimulated to do so. Occasionally the student showed his weaknesses such as lack of attention, but that is typical at his age.

Gabriel’s academic achievement stood among the greatest of his class during the year of 2002. He also showed interest in helping people who did not have a chance to study as he did, dedicating 3 hours every week to voluntary work at our institution for the homeless and elder people. This has proved the student´s sense of society and humanity. I am also aware that he has held a leadership position at the best volleyball team of our country for over 2 years (not sure), winning the gold medal of the State Championship.

The student´s dedication and commitment with the academic challenge during the whole period of integration, inside and outside the classroom.

I am proud and confident to say that Gabriel has an incomparable capacity of reflection and analysis, dealing easily with the subject and homework.

In my opinion, his potential for achievement in the undergraduate study will depend basically on the student’s ambition and desire. Knowing that Gabriel’s dream is to study in New York and keeping a good job there, those demands would not be a problem. He has the capacity to distinguish himself from hundreds of people, but what is incredible is that he does not consider himself better than anyone.

According to what i know from his parents, Gabriel has been involved in the financial world since he was 13 when their family first got Bloomberg on TV. He would stay sitting there for hours, like a kid watches those cartoons. Now he is taking this seriously, investing in stocks and winning prizes at the stock market. When they told me this, i thought to myself : “ This guy’s standards of discipline are high , and now he buys stocks, outplaying those stock market hot shot executives?” . Now seriously, this guy has something to show, trust me. Gabriel is far from being a genius, but he is more than just being an ordinary one.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

i need something guys

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

bump

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

If the letter is from your teacher, i don't think you should translate it. Instead, you should send it in its original form to the adcoms. Any college probably would have someone available on campus who could translate it. If you translate it, that will look to the colleges as if you also wrote it.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I sat next to him and translated, that will not be a problem because he signed twice, in the original form and in the translated paper. What is the overall in your opinion?

BTW, the college asks for it in english

By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Now seriously, this guy has something to show, trust me. Gabriel is far from being a genius, but he is more than just being an ordinary one.

Lol this is hilarious. I seriously would consider northstarmom's advice if I was you. It may well be the difference between admission and denial.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

if you have nothing to add, dont touch de keyboard

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

I'm in total agreement with Shahab, whether you like it or not. And your attitude needs some changing-- you asked for opinions, and you got it. So don't spit-fire when someone actually says something that makes sense.
Sometimes, translating a piece of work leads to the loss of the intended meaning.
Unless, in your case, that is what it is intended to mean....

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I sincerely asked for opinion, and " this is hilarious" doesnt seem to be a constructive opinion.
Although i did not enjoy his opinion i had to accept it and made some changes in my letter

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

you made some changes in your letter? it soudns like you wrote half the damn thing by urself thats pathetic.. it will probably hurt you also when you are unable to check the box off that says "you waive your rights to see this form"

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

No i did not write a word of this damn letter. It is because every time i think i should get help with the TRANSLATION i go and call my teacher for his authorization

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

But what do you guys think of the overall of the letter?

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

quite frankly, it doesn't matter what we think of the letter. if you change it, take your teacher's name off of it, because it's your letter of recommendation for yourself.

Send your teacher's words, not yours. "Letter of recommendation" is not an opportunity for you to express yourself, it's an opportunity for a second opinion from a second person. You're riding thin ice if you alter your teacher's words.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

It's redundant, but I'll chip in my opinion.

You should absolutely not translate your letter of rec. Translation is not a science; it involves all sorts of significant editorial decisions that you cannot possibly make in a clean and unbiased way. A translation by the applicant will have no credibility whatever in anyone's book - and rudimentary ethics DEMAND that you identify that translation as yours.

Northstarmom is, as usual, absolutely right. If you've any concern for what's right and what's best for you, just send the rec off in Portuguese, and let the admissions offices figure out how to read it. If a college really can't find any expert in Portuguese, or at least someone who knows enough other Romance languages to make it out, they can use babelfish and get the gist.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:25 am: Edit

I just forgot to mention that my physics teacher is also english teacher, so he translated the whole letter. But anyways, from what i heard from Pace University´s´admission office, they require the document in engish as it says:

" Academic records issued in a language other than english are required to be translated and attested by the institution of origin....."

By Penguin (Penguin) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

That sentence is slightly ambiguous grammatically, but I'm almost certain the "by" phrase applies to both "translated" and "attested" - The "institution of origin" must translate the rec, not the applicant. I didn't think of this possibility before, but it makes sense.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

Thats what i am trying to explain to you guys. I am not translating anything, my teacher is. I am just changing something with him sitting next to me.

In this case, the teacher works as the institution of origin, he can translate ans attest and put the name of the school in it

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

You keep saying you are not changing anything, but that you are sitting next to your teacher, helping with the translation. Well, it shows. You have used a number of words that an older adult would not, in this situation. The tone of the letter shifts, as though it has more than one voice. If the opening sentences are indicative of the teacher's writing style, you should let him continue without outside assistance. If he needs help, he should ask a colleague, not a student.

Some cultures may look at this differently, but since you asked for opinions, look at the strong ones offered by Penguin and Northstarmom. Influencing your own letter of recommendation is seen as something like cheating here. You want to avoid any association with the idea.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

no, but thanks for your opinion

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

I agree with Midwesterner.

By Manhattan187 (Manhattan187) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Ok, thanks.
So in the OVERALL, do you think i should just throw away the letter because its not required by Pace University or i should send it anyway.

By Shauna (Shauna) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

If it's not even required, I wouldn't bother. You're getting yourself into hot water by translating your own letter, and even more if its something that's not required. Don't do it.

Shauna

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page