Computer Science....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Computer Science....
By Godilali (Godilali) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I wish to major in computer science and eventiually get a Phd. and go into AI research. I am ranked 80/400 and have a GPA of 3.0. I received a 225 on my PSAT and hopefully I can get my SAT score to 1500. I am in math team, chess, JETS, and future problem solvers.
Can I get into any of these schools:
Northwestern, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne, University of Michigan, University of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon.

If not, what other schools with a strong computer science program do I have a shot at?

Also, I was wondering how long does it take on average to receive a Phd. in Computer Science.
Thank you.

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Your GPA is the worrying factor.
Otherwise, it all looks pretty good.
FYI-- some of the best CS schools are MIT, Stanford, CalTech... You may wanna apply to them even if you don't think you have 'that great' a chance. You never know.

By Godilali (Godilali) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

By Compsciguy (Compsciguy) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I've heard that if you have over a 1450 or something like that, then you're automatically admitted to UIUC. CS at Carnegie might be quite a reach though considering your rank and GPA. Your SATII scores will play a big part in determining admittance to all those except UIUC. I was rejected from CMU, and I have pretty good stats; trust me, it's REALLY competitive for their CS school.

By Godilali (Godilali) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

have u taken any comp sci contests? like TopCoders, or online ones like DWight, or whatever ur American governments offer... they would help i think. I wanted to go into comp sci back in gr 10 and thus took the CAnadian Computing Contest and got 4th. Now that i dont wanna do comp sci, it's a waste. But if you've placed in state or national competitions, it would help ur chances at any school, and stress it on ur application because they'll like it.

By Godilali (Godilali) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

how about u of washington? the computer science program is one of top in nation?

By Godilali (Godilali) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Phd. in Comp Sci.?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page