Computer Science....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Computer Science....
By Godilali (Godilali) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I wish to major in computer science and eventiually get a Phd. and go into AI research. I am ranked 80/400 and have a GPA of 3.0. I received a 225 on my PSAT and hopefully I can get my SAT score to 1500. I am in math team, chess, JETS, and future problem solvers.
Can I get into any of these schools:
Northwestern, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne, University of Michigan, University of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon.

If not, what other schools with a strong computer science program do I have a shot at?

Also, I was wondering how long does it take on average to receive a Phd. in Computer Science.
Thank you.

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Your GPA is the worrying factor.
Otherwise, it all looks pretty good.
FYI-- some of the best CS schools are MIT, Stanford, CalTech... You may wanna apply to them even if you don't think you have 'that great' a chance. You never know.

By Godilali (Godilali) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

bump

By Compsciguy (Compsciguy) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I've heard that if you have over a 1450 or something like that, then you're automatically admitted to UIUC. CS at Carnegie might be quite a reach though considering your rank and GPA. Your SATII scores will play a big part in determining admittance to all those except UIUC. I was rejected from CMU, and I have pretty good stats; trust me, it's REALLY competitive for their CS school.

By Godilali (Godilali) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

have u taken any comp sci contests? like TopCoders, or online ones like DWight, or whatever ur American governments offer... they would help i think. I wanted to go into comp sci back in gr 10 and thus took the CAnadian Computing Contest and got 4th. Now that i dont wanna do comp sci, it's a waste. But if you've placed in state or national competitions, it would help ur chances at any school, and stress it on ur application because they'll like it.

-peace

By Godilali (Godilali) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

bump

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

how about u of washington? the computer science program is one of top in nation?

By Godilali (Godilali) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Phd. in Comp Sci.?
bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page