American OR GW, better school in DC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: American OR GW, better school in DC?
By Alatide on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

IS American OR George Washington better academically? Which has more prestige? thanks

By 3 on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

GW

By Alatide on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Significantly?

By gw on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

GW is better, by a good margin

By Jane on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

George Wash..definately is a decent amount better than American

By DC my brother on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

GW, but Georgetown is better and it's in Washington as well

By your mother on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

neither of them are so great

By listen fool... on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:08 am: Edit

GW by a long shot

By me on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:23 am: Edit

I did a summer program at American this summer. The place is about as big as my back yard. Seriously, you can walk around the entire campus in less than 10 minutes. The administration was also very unorganized and chaotic. I visited GW too, and I actually liked it a lot. It was in the city, but if you don't mind that you'll probably like it. It's only about a 10 minute walk to the Capitol and the mall (not a mall, the mall with the monuments and stuff.) But it's not the best school academically. Are your grades good enough to get into Georgetown? If so, that's the best school in the area by far

By Jim Brunet on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

We (wife, daughter, myself) went to D.C. last Spring and looked at American, GW, and Georgetown.

American was a joke...and not a very funny one at that. At the info session, "academics" was about the sixth thing mentioned, after "how friendly the campus was" and "how the campus not only expelled drug users but turned them in to the police." The campus struck me as being more like a high-end CC than anything else.

GW is up-and-coming, trying to play catch-up to G'town. Some people might find the lack of a traditional defined campus unnerving...my daughter liked it. It's right _in_ downtown N.W. D.C., just blocks from the White House and has a regular grid of city streets around all the buildings, including the dorms...dorms seemed a little on the shabby side but friendly/energetic. GW's SAT scores, etc., are definitely on the upswing and their internship program seems like it's in the same league as G'town.

G'town's campus looks as if it should be a movie set and observing/eavesdropping on students they were collectively a pretty sharp lot.

GW's combined median SAT's are about 120 points or so lower than G'town's. GW had something like a 48% acceptance rate for 2000, G'town a 23 percent rate. I don't know about American because my daughter rejected them before they could accept her.

By Wanna go to DC on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

GW could attract a lot of great students if it built up its academic reputation. There are so many students who want to go to DC, but don't want to sacrifice prestige. Right now, Georgetown is the only such viable option.

By Libroschico (Libroschico) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Wanna go, I think that GW is becoming competitive with Georgetown for the top students who want to go to DC. In the past five years, GW's average SAT scores have gone up almost 100 points while the acceptance rate has gone down to 38%. GW gets more applications than any other school in DC and also enrolls the largest freshman class. It is definitely a school that is "on the rise," and I have a feeling that it will break into the U.S. News Top 50 if it keeps improving over the next few years.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page