Chances for a Solid Public School Student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances for a Solid Public School Student
By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Hi. I've seen alot of threads like this but have never asked about my own chances, and I was wondering what other people thought of mine now that I have turned in all my applications. Please take a few seconds to look over my bio and tell me brutally honestly what you think about my chances.

I rank 7/400 (weighted) at a very solid public school in CT. My GPA is 3.9 Unweighted.

I have taken the hardest courseload throughout high school, including this year when I have the single hardest classes of anyone in my grade. (AP English, AP Calc AB, AP Econ, AP Env Science (double period, only Science AP offered), and H Spanish IV.

SAT: 1480 (750 V 730 M) Sat II: 800 Writing 790 W. Hist, 780 US Hist, 680 Math IC

2 AP's taken so far (as many as I possibly could take): 5 US Hist, 5 W Hist

Recs: should be very good
Essays: Excellent, maybe the best part of my app

EC's (major ones only): I have taught CCD throughout high school, having my own class the last 3 years; Member of Model UN Exec Board attened several confrences the past few years; Head Coach of Fall Youth Soccer team about 10 hours/week; NHS Tutoring Program Coordinator; Work 12 hours/week at Walgreens starting senior year; have ran track (sprints) throughout high school and played soccer thru JV level (team is very competitive, I still play Club teams); Editorials Editor for School newspaper; member of History Collaborative (students are selected for one year)

Summers: Intern at local Economic Development Department b4 junior year 20 hours/week; work at Walgreens 28 hrs/week summer b4 senior year

Awards: Yale Book Award; Nat Merit Commend; Spanish Honor Society; Latin Honor Society; Gold Medal Nat Latin Exam 11th grade (school doesnt give out stuff like best 10th grade english student or any awards like that)

Majors: very interested in History and Classics as well as Economics. Would like to double major in 2 of the 3.

Schools: Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Amherst, Bowdoin, William and Mary, Tufts, Bates, Providence, Conn College, Dickinson

There you have it. I realize no one can predict for sure, but just for fun please tell me what u think my probability of acceptance is at the schools i applied to. Thanks!

Kevin

By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

bump

By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

BUMP ca'mon guys!

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

you have a pretty good shot at all the schools you mentioned. and that's all i gotsta say about that. In fact I think you are a shoo in at all except brown and amherst

By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

thanks, i hope ur right! what does anyone else think?

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

I agree with Shahab.

Your GPA and standardized test scores won't keep you out of a college on your list. Beyond that, it's hard to say for schools like Brown and Amherst.

By May_1 (May_1) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I'll just echo what's already been said. You have the requisite GPA and SAT scores, but I don't really see anything that stands out. Nothing that impresses me, and with the level of competition you're up against, if you aren't impressing the adcoms you won't fare well. I'd say you're in at all of your schools except for Brown, Dartmouth, Amherst, and Georgetown. Good luck to us all.

By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Ya, I pretty much agree that Brown, Amherst and Dartmouth are going to be really tough; however, I do think that I have a pretty good chance at Georgetown. My interview there went extremely well and the interviewer seemed optimistic also. I also had a great interview at Bowdoin. I think these schools and Bates are my most realistic hopes. What does anyone else think?

By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

one final bump, any other input?

By Kj998855 (Kj998855) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

"In fact I think you are a shoo in at all except brown and amherst " Well I got waitlisted at Bates today, certainly wasn't expecting that? Should I not expect good news from any of the other schools besides Dickinson and Conn Coll? (I got into Providence with a 18,000/ year merit scholarship :))

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page