Getting in and getting a scholarship????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Getting in and getting a scholarship????
By Soccerrulz888 (Soccerrulz888) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

OK i am a junior at one of the top public high schools in Alabama. I made 1320 on the SAT, i have not taken the ACT yet, and i made a 191 on the PSAT, i volunteer quite a bit, and i have a lot of ec's including captain and mvp of our soccer team (only 6A team to win 6 consecutive state championships). I have a 4.01 and i am ranked in the top 10 of 500 students. I would really like to get into vanderbilt or UC-Berkely or Emory with a scholarship does any one know if i have a chance?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

UCB is extremely difficult for out of state students - they only accept about 14-15% of students who apply from other states. They also aren't great with financial aid for out of state students and are raising the tuition for non-residents to about $25,000 next year. I'd suggest you concentrate your efforts elsewhere or perhaps look at some of the private schools in California.

Without knowing the types of classes you've taken, your class rank, or your GPA, it's hard to predict your chances at Emory and Vanderbilt.

By Ladybajan (Ladybajan) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Does anyone know if Emory gives merit-based scholarships that is non need based?

By Soccerrulz888 (Soccerrulz888) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I have taken all advanced classes through out high school (with the exception of english courses). My AP courses include AP history, AP biology, AP Statistics, AP calculus, AP government, AP economics, AP physics. The rest of my stats are on the first post.

By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

I'm a CA native, and one of my AP teachers told me that UCB is reducing the number of students it can accept due to budget problems, which might make your chances as an out of state student even smaller, but I say try anyway...your chances of getting in are pretty fair, but your stats are not incredibly impressive for UCB according to my knowledge.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:07 am: Edit

Ladybjan--emory has merit aid depending on what major you are pursuing. go to their website and do a search.

By Soccerrulz888 (Soccerrulz888) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

i would really like someone tell me if i can get a merit based scholarship at vanderbilt cuz it way to expensive with out a scholarship... by the way i am white male i dont know if that affects anything though

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page