3.3 GPA 1270 SAT from Philippines -chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: 3.3 GPA 1270 SAT from Philippines -chances?
By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

Hi guys,

I'm a 17-yr old junior, chinese, from the Philippines.

My GPA in HS during my freshmen and sophomore years was about 3.2 Basically because I was slacking off.

Working harder this year (junior), I got a 3.85 the first sem.

I took my SAT in October and got a 1270, 630V 640M

I've got absolutely no problem with financial aid.

What are my chances of getting into the following colleges: (not ranked in order)

1. UC Berkeley
2. NYU
3. Dartmouth
4. Clairmonte McKenna
5. Pomona
6. UMichigan Ann Arbor

Thanks!

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:40 am: Edit

Anyone? If I prolly can't make those schools, could you suggest some others?

Also, I haven't taken any AP yet since my school is really small (~1500 students K-12) and doesn't have enough teachers to teach the kids.

With regards to ECs, not too many either.
yearbook committee
jrsr committee
jrsocial committee
talent night committee
in my free time, I build computers and sell them
play the piano and guitar

that about it.. small things here and there.

Thanks

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:17 am: Edit

bump

By Acennace (Acennace) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:28 am: Edit

I'll say
-40% for Berkeley n NYU
-60% for UMich
Others, I'm not sure... Retake the SAT 1 n take SAT 2. If you still think your result is too low, apply to other universities like UIUC, UWisc-Madison, UGeorgia, Rutgers etc.

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:36 am: Edit

Thanks for replying acennace.

-40% means I probably have under a 40% chance to get in?

Thanks

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

Are you insane?

Unless it's easier for internationals at those schools, there is no way for any of those schools.

NO WAY.

I'm sorry if I am getting you down, but I don't want you to put energy into applying and get ur feelings hurt (plus lose application money lol).

Chances at all of them (unless there is a huge amount of AA for internationals):

5-10%

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:20 am: Edit

B18c1cx:

are you serious? wow.

My sister got into Amherst and she had

1490 SAT 800V 690M
3.75GPA

Looking at the colleges admission stats for NYU, Berkeley and UMichigan Ann Arbor, it didn't look like my stats were too far away.

What schools would you recommend I apply to?

By Acennace (Acennace) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:31 am: Edit

Well, u gotta show ur uniqueness or passion...
If my sis can get a half tuition waiver in a competitive state univ in NY with 1210 SAT, why can't u when u don't need a financial aid?

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:10 am: Edit

Thing is, I'm not so sure if I even have the passion. I'm not really the study, eager to learn type. The real reason why I'm going to college is because...

1. My parents want me to

2. Both my parents went to Ivy schools (Cornell) and my sister went to a good school
- I don't want to be the one going to a bad school.

I feel so lost. I'm not sure where my life is going, what I want in a college, how I am unique, etc

All I know is that I want to go to a decent school. I know this kinda sounds stupid and all but it's the truth.

You've been a great help acennace. Thanks. Appreciate it. I'm hoping you can guide me somehow in making the right decision, what to do, etc

and one more thing, the guidance counselors in the Philippines are clueless. They don't know what the SATs are. That's why I've come here seeking help. :)

By Acennace (Acennace) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

Geez, I would've experienced the same thing if I didn't move to HK from Indonesia, but I really do think you have a great chance since you're still a junior.

1. Study for the next 4 months for SAT. Retake in May (Try to increase 120 points)
2. Take SAT2s in October (may be helpful even though many universities don't require them)
3. Increase your GPA to 3.50 at least.
4. Try to take notes of stuffs in your life that may be helpful to admit you into universities you want (try to get a description about your school from the counselor)
5. Create an activity list (ECs, volunteer work, awards)
6. Take TOEFL. You'll be safe with 260 computer based.

About the Ivy Leagues thing, don't worry. Going for smaller or state universities doesn't hurt. I don't even apply to IVY coz it's much less important for an undergraduate degree. There are many great state universities you can go to without 'sweating blood out': UVa, UCLA, UMich, UWisc, UIUC, UT Austin...

Good luck, you're still more than a year away...

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

1. its Claremont McKenna (obviously you havent done a lot of research about the school if you can't spell its name)

2. your chances at the schools listed are rather slim: 5-10% as one of the previous posters mentioned.

3. you should consider schools a tier lower (SUNY, U of Washington, American University.....a good reach school for you would be George Washington University, but it depends on what you want to major in) and start researching schools outside of the top 50.

4. find a school that fits you and not one that fits your parents.

5. try to get 1350+ on your SATs and 700+ on your SAT IIs if you want any chance whatsoever at the 6 schools you listed. i'm not trying to put you down, but i am being honest....its very rare that a student with your current stats gets into one of those schools; the ones who do are usually under-represented minorities, athletes, or have something very unique to offer and represent themselves very well.

By Labyrinth5 (Labyrinth5) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

You are an international student and are applying to highly selective private colleges and very competitive public colleges from out of state and you're stats are not that high. And so I would encourage you to look at other private universities, like Tulane, URochester, Brandeis, etc. I could help you out more if you specified to me whether you are interested in universities or liberal arts colleges. I can't really tell from your list because you are applying to colleges that are very different.

By Skps16 (Skps16) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

which school in the philippines do you come from?
Xavier?

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:16 am: Edit

Skps16: no, not Xavier. Faith Academy.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

hey i moved to the US from the philippines in fifth grade. i attended la salle greenhills when i was there...now i'm at a new england boarding school

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

Sorry, but the schools on your list are all reaches for you with your GPA and SAT scores.
And, with the possible exception of UMich and NYU, they're not realistic reaches either. For example,UCB accepts less than 14% of international applicants and you MUST have a minimum GPA of 3.4 in order to even apply there as an out-of-state international resident.

One possibility - because of your double legacy status - would be to apply early decision to Cornell. Again, because both of your parents went there you might then have a shot at it---but only if you apply early decision.

You need to do some more research on other schools where your stats will give you at least a realistic chance of being considered. What are you interested in majoring in?
If you let us know, perhaps we can make some other recommendations.

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Maybe it would be worth noting that the grading scale at my school is a bit messed. An A- in my school is a 95%. The B range is from 90-94.
While a C is 89-84%. and once you hit under a 80%, it's an F.

Carolyn: I'm thinking of majoring in advertising, business or communication. What schools would you recommend?

Thanks!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Neophyte: For advertising and communications try these:
Syracuse, Boston University, University of Southern California, Pepperdine (California), NYU, Ithaca College (in the same town as Cornell!).

All take large numbers of internationals as long as you can pay your own way. Your scores and grades would probably be a match for Ithaca, Syracuse and BU - the rest would be realistic reaches or matches if you get your grades and SATs up. Some possible safeties for you: University of Denver, Arizona State University, Creighton University, Loyola Marymount (CA), Marquette, Quinnipiac (CT). All are decent schools with strong business and communications programs.

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

Thank you so much Carolyn.

I'll look into the those colleges a bit more. A friend of mine is going to NYU and she is taking up commuications too.

Also, what do you think of Emory? Or what about Tufts?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Emory and Tufts are both fine schools but both will be definite reaches for you with your current stats. Neither is known for its communications programs.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

private schools in the philippines are generally harder than schools here in the US...that's the truth. so your gpa means a lot... but if you can try to bring up your SAT score, then by all means do so.

By Neophyte31 (Neophyte31) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

I talked to my guidance counselor a bit more and turns out, he gave me the wrong information- I actually have a 3.45 unweighted GPA.

Will this help at all?

Also, I just took the SAT on the 24th. Aiming for around a 1300+.

By Gothmog (Gothmog) on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 06:44 am: Edit

hey neophyte, i did too!!! i'm a philippine science high school student -a senior - and may results na!! look at your collegeboard account...
where DO you study? Chiang Kai Chiek?
Xavier? :) anyway, see ya..

By Gothmog (Gothmog) on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 06:51 am: Edit

ay stupid... faith academy.. ok...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page