Academic Index for the Ivy's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Academic Index for the Ivy's
By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Has anyone found your academic index on this site? It seems pretty harsh. I mean, i got an 8/9 (which i'm not going to complain about), but i feel that it stresses SAT so much, especially when many colleges say that there is less stress on the SAT in current admissions.

Does anyone know which schools use the academic index and if they use the 1-9 or 1-5 scale?

Also, what did you guys get as an index and where are you applying? :)

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

My school doesn't rank, and since I'm an international, I'm not sure how they are going to calculate my GPA. But according to the AI, I'm somewhere from 7 to 9. I do believe that colleges put more emphasis on SAT scores than they admit, for statistical reasons.

Princeton uses a 1-5 scale. The rest, I don't know.

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

If you use my SAT, I am a 4.
If you use my ACT translated to SAT, I am a 5.

I'm going for Cornell Engineering but my SATII scores are a bit.. ok so they are very low.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Ya, I'm like a 4 or a 5 too, but I really got to question the reliability of it all. The fact that a lot of 1600/800/800/800 who ranked in the top ten got deferred or even rejected for EA and ED makes me think that these schools do take ur scores into consideration, but the transcript, ECs, essays and recs are what really determine admission.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:43 am: Edit

The thing is, if two people pretty much have the identical application besides the test scores, the one with higher test score will get in. It's about getting every edge you can get.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Yea, I agree, but I showed one of my best friends the site and when she did it, she only got a 4 out of 9. The only thing wrong with her applicatioon is her SAT (1240), but shes gotten 4s and 5s on APs, she's ranked 6/778 in a very competitive school, shes taken many APs, is involved in many extracurriculars, and is hispanic. She was deferred from Brown, and I honestly think that if her SAT was 100 points higher she'd be in. I'm not so sure if I agree with the academic index... it doesn't consider so many things. Besides, they dont have a way to translate your SAT into ACT.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

well-the question is this- for people accepted to the ivys- did you get in with 4 and 5s on the academic index? or do you think 7-9 is necessary?..b/c you can get a 1420, be in the top 10 eprcent of your class, have sat 2s all above 700 and not break a 4

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

The index appears logaritithmic so there is a big difference between a 6 and an 8. Academic index is probably only used as an initial qualifier (MIT uses a variant of it for this purpose but I am not sure about the rest). Unfortunately, that's the way it goes. I got a 7 index (222) and I prob wont get accepted to any of the Ivies I applied to so I don't think the index thing on this site is to be trusted. Oh, check my stats and see what it took to get a 7 if it matters.

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 08:21 am: Edit

those are good test scores Vsage3. Why are you so pessimistic? I only have a 1 or a two according to the index calculator. I am sure that if you have some attributes that the adcom will like.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page