California student chances at universities

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: California student chances at universities
By hds on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

I am a Vietnamese high school student in Southern California. I have applied to 6 universities. What are my chances at these schools?
UCI
UCR
UCLA
UCSD
CAL TECH
University of Pennsylvania
ACT:22
SAT 2's: Math IC= 620, Writing =540, Literature=450
GPA: 2.9
Ap's taking this year:
AP Spanish
AP Government
AP Statistics
AP Economics
AP Biology
* Planning to take Multivariable Calculus, Psychology and Physics at a community college
EC's
Spanish club
Fine Arts
FBLA
CHESS
Honor ROll
GSE's awards
volunteer at an elementary school as a translator
wrote a decent essay
First generation (mom and dad only completed middle school)

By d on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

How are you on the honor roll with a 2.9 GPA? Good luck getting into Irvine!

By um...no on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I doubt you'll get into upenn or caltech or UCSD and UCLA, but I think you *might* have a chance at Irvine and Riverside. Your scores are a bit low, but for the lower UC's, I think you'll be fine. You would probably want to consider applying to safeties in the ca state university system.

By hds on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

OH, my weighted gpa is 3.0.

By dyip10 on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

LMAO, your GPA is really really sad. You might have a chance at UCR (UC Riverside). UCI or anything better, no way! I mean even the adverage GPA at Riverside is around 3.5, you have a 3.0? lol with all those AP classes, you get a C in everyone or something, my goodness.

By Jane on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

Don't count on upenn

By me on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

You suck really bad. CALTECH? Biotch please

By you suck on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:23 am: Edit

O by the way, I noticed again, you're f**king sad. You have a low GPA and your ECs. Lol, you play chess as an EC, and you don't play any sports. Lol, no sports with lol GPA. I think you're a disgrace to Asians.

By Version 2.9 on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

You people are horrible!! No one here is an admissions officers regardless of statistics! What school you go to and your situation matters as well. If anything you posters are a disgrace.

HDS,
Ask someone who actually has knowledge and experience in the Admissions process not these Admission officer wannabes!!!!

By newb on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

I was accepted to UCR under the guaranteed admissions program during my junior year summer. UCR is not hard to get into. In fact, it's pretty easy. Did you look at the UC hand book? I think it was like 90-something percent admission rate. UCI isn't that hard either. UCLA is competitive.. Very tricky. UCSD is starting to get competitive. I know some people who got in, who had mediocre stats (1200 g.p.a., ok gpa, etc). CAL TECH and UPENN... Cal Tech is extremely hard to get into. UPENN is really hard to get into as well.
Realize that being the first generation to go to college isn't uncommon especially in California. There are plenty of asians who are 1st generation, that have similar backgrounds as you. For example, I do. Except I have different advantages for being "disadvantaged" in certain areas.

Oh yeah, GSE awards aren't THAT prestigious, because they're pretty easy to get. Well, I could say that you have good chances (or realistic possibility) in getting into UCR and UCI. The rest I'm not sure about. You're lucky that you are a resident of California, because it boosts your chances in the UC's so much. I think I read somewhere that out of staters have to get around a 3.5 gpa? Yeah, anyways, the minimum gpa is 3.0 I think, but I know some exceptions (someone w/ 2.0 gpa) who got into some UC's (like UCR).

By Vizious (Vizious) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Dang y'all hate so much LOL, just because people dont have as good scores/GPA doesnt make them a worse person LOL....You could get into UCR pretty easy I would think, 90% acceptance rate....UCI a lil bit harder than that...UCSD mite a a bit tough but you definiteley have a chance....UCLA is tougher.....UPENN and Caltech, i dunno, maybe if you have a good hook but those are definitely hard to get into.....but UCR, UCI, UCLA, and UCSD are DEFINITELY within your reach dont listen to the haters lol...

By Random on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

O is that so? Where do you get the UC handbook? Also what are typical GPAs to get into UCR, UCI, UCSD and UCLA?

By hey on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Hey, I hate to burst your bubble, but the people who are trying to encourage you are giving you false hope. This is just as bad as the hatred presented on this board. Reading your stats, I'd say you got a decent chance at UCR and maybe, maybe Irvine. For LA, SD, TECH, and PENN, I think your chances are really small. Good luck.

By I agree on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

I agree with hey. It's great to at least try to get into top schools that you want to get into, but realistically your chances aren't very good. (48,000 applied to UCSD last year!) Don't bet on it, but hey, it's always worth a try. Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page