Not a great student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Not a great student
By Tlq9992 (Tlq9992) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I found this place while on googling for college information. I read alot of threads and found I'm surrounded by so many inteligent people -.- I feel so student and useless.

I'm a female junior in HS wanting to major in engineering. (california).

I have a 3.3 gpa; havent taken sat yet; officer of 2 clubs and im actively in key club.

wat good colleges can i get into with those stats? :/ i kno they're bad. i guess i should just go to a community college, huh?

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

You're useless, nobody wants you
jk
You have a high chance of getting in being a female going in engineering. I'm doing the same thing. I'm applying to University of Illinois. You should also look into pre-engineering courses at a less expensive college or community c. Then you can transfer later on. Or why not start now? See if you can take some engineering course over the spring or summer/fall so you can put down on your application of your experience. Then apply to the college of your choice. I don't know much about colleges in Cali.

By Uuaww (Uuaww) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

stay in state and go to cal poly slo, or if you don't get in, your a shoe in at cal poly panoma

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:54 am: Edit

Google summer residential science, math and engineering programs for high school females. There are several such programs around the country. Some cost a couple of grand: Others are free. Some of the ones that cost also have need-based scholarships.

As Usna mentioned, females of all races are underrepresented in engineering (and in the hard sciences). As a result, you will get a boost when it comes to college admissions, summer programs, and even possibly some merit scholarships.

By Tlq9992 (Tlq9992) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Quote:

You're useless, nobody wants you
jk
You have a high chance of getting in being a female going in engineering. I'm doing the same thing. I'm applying to University of Illinois. You should also look into pre-engineering courses at a less expensive college or community c. Then you can transfer later on. Or why not start now? See if you can take some engineering course over the spring or summer/fall so you can put down on your application of your experience. Then apply to the college of your choice. I don't know much about colleges in Cali.

I'm currently enrolling myselfing in this program on base for pre-engineering. I'm planning on staying in state. Eekk pomona heard it was in a bad neighborhood.. dun wanna go there for sure.

btw thanks for the other advices everyone :)

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Um a 3.3...isn't that like a B-B+ average? You can't get into the best schools in the country, but why settle for community college? You really shouldn't get down on yourself because you will get into a college that will make you happy, just won't be an ivy or top 25. Is that really the end of the world?

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

There is nothing wrong with community colleges and I wish people would stop looking down at them. For this particular major she might want to take some preparation classes, like taking more math and science courses. I'm sure engineering is complex and it might be a struggle to go to a university and major in it, esp when you have no experience what so ever.

By Tlq9992 (Tlq9992) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

Quote:

Um a 3.3...isn't that like a B-B+ average? You can't get into the best schools in the country, but why settle for community college? You really shouldn't get down on yourself because you will get into a college that will make you happy, just won't be an ivy or top 25. Is that really the end of the world?

erm I wasn't planning on getting into an ivy or top 25; i kno thats out of my league. I was open to suggestions on which state universities i could maybe have a shot in? (in cali) I'm thinking maybe cal poly slo; not sure if i can make it tho

By Lannymc (Lannymc) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

What about a male, below 1000 SAT, but 3.7+ for the past two years (currently 4.0). Leaning towards junior college (less $). should we totally discount a four year college?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

A 3.3 average is not a bad average. It's a solid B or B+

For engineering schools, what will be important is what math and science courses she has gotten, and what scores she got on her SAT or ACT and SAT IIs.

My guess is that most people going to colleges, including 4-year ones have averages of 3.3 or below. It's only at the very top colleges where most students' averages are far higher.

As for the guy who posted, there are 4-year colleges that take people with your stats. Try looking in a book such as Time Magazine's college guide, and seeing which colleges take lots of students with scores in your range.

Remember, the average SAT score of college-bound students is about 1010. Most college students had SAT scores that are similar to yours. Your grades are above what most college students have.

By Tlq9992 (Tlq9992) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Quote:

A 3.3 average is not a bad average. It's a solid B or B+

For engineering schools, what will be important is what math and science courses she has gotten, and what scores she got on her SAT or ACT and SAT IIs.

My guess is that most people going to colleges, including 4-year ones have averages of 3.3 or below. It's only at the very top colleges where most students' averages are far higher.

As for the guy who posted, there are 4-year colleges that take people with your stats. Try looking in a book such as Time Magazine's college guide, and seeing which colleges take lots of students with scores in your range.

Remember, the average SAT score of college-bound students is about 1010. Most college students had SAT scores that are similar to yours. Your grades are above what most college students have.

ah are they? im somewhat relieved to hear that. I thought they all expect alot , cuz all i hear about are big universties expectations. well thanks for all the comments everyone. i really appreciate it, alot!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page