Foreign Language Dilemma! Help me out!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Foreign Language Dilemma! Help me out!!
By Antique (Antique) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

OK, here's my dilemma: I got into a 4-year magnet program as I entered high school that basically locked 3 hours of my schedule together. Like most people, I was supposed to take Spanish during my freshman and sophomore years but I decided to take AP Chem and AP Lit instead. I'm a junior now and have taken Spanish 1 during the first semester but am not able to take Spanish 2 second semester b/c the magnet program is creating schedule conflicts.
Will colleges consider taht I've taken 2 years of a foreign language if I skip Spanish 2 and do Spanish 3 & 4 during my senior year?
OR
Should I be on the safe side and test out/place out of Spanish 3 & 4 (thru killer studying) and then take 5 & 6 in my senior year?

Please help me out, I'm desperate!!!!

By Antique (Antique) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Bump plz!

By Antique (Antique) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Anyone????

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

It really all depends what goes on in the classes you mentioned. At my school, you would be safe testing out of 3 and 5 but 4 and 6 (AP) are musts. Spanish 4 was straight grammar drilling and 6 puts it all together. I found 6 to review 5 at a pace I could understand (I skipped 5 altogether). Why the heck did you take AP Lit before AP language? That's just nuts. Uh Spanish 1 and 2 will satisfy the reqs for foreign language but I'd go for the highest possible. Spanish almost beomes fun at the high levels because you have to be fluent.

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Some colleges require 2 years, or 4 straight semesters, of a foreign language. Is there anything in your schedule next semester that you really don't need? Because then you would only have 3 semesters of it. Or if you can do independent study in your school. It's more benefical to be in the class so you can also practice speaking and listening skills.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Perhaps, and this may not be too appealing, you can find a course over the summer that will cover a full semester's work.

By Antique (Antique) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions?

By Antique (Antique) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Bump

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Check out the language offerings at your local community college. You should be able to do an intermediate Spanish course over the summer there.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page