A Hypothetical Situation...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: A Hypothetical Situation...
By Greeniex (Greeniex) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I'm just curious as to what would happen to a person like this:

Valedictorian (say...1/500+)
SAT: 1600
SAT II: 3 800's
8+ AP's all 5
Excellent Essay/Rec's/Interview

BUT: NO EC's!

I doubt something like this would ever come up since someone who cares enough about school to get those kind of scores would realize the importance of EC's, but what if it did? Would he/she have a fighting chance ANYWHERE? What's the best they could do?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Greeniex, I wouldn't be so sure about the unlikelihood of such an individual existing. Taking into account that HYP reject 40-60% of perfect 1600's, valedictorians, etc, then there have got to be certain people who are all numbers but no substance. But to answer your question, such people can certainly get into good schools....but I'm sure they'd be hard pressed to get into any top-tier schools with NO EC's...

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

If a person like the above had been spending their time doing things like getting papers published in professional journals or writing a novel,they still could have a chance at top colleges.

Sometimes people like you describe are pursuing on their own very impressive and interesting Ecs. They may be scholarly types of people who prefer doing research on their own to participating in group projects.

If all they had been doing was studying in order to get straight As and 1600 SATs, they would not be impressive candidates for top colleges. They'd be viewed as mainly grade grubbers.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:52 am: Edit

I'd say with no EC (including academic related ones) very little chance.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:10 am: Edit

Aw.. he/she can always go to Caltech.
jk.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page