Stuyvesant

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Stuyvesant
By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I know this is off topic, but does anyone here go to stuyvesant? i'm really curious about it because it really seems like a cool place. do they really only allow you to take 2 AP classes? i heard this from my chem teacher. i guess i've just heard so much about it that i wanted to find out about the school from you guys. thanks.

By Fri3ndlyfire (Fri3ndlyfire) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

i'd have to say stuyvesant sucks...it's actually an awesome school though, i just say that because i didn't get in and ended up in one of the other specialized schools. i do have to make the point, though, that because i ended up where i am, i am a much more competitive student and more likely to get into an awesome school...i have the second highest SAT score in the school =)

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

I wish I went to that school. One of the reasons why I hate being an international in Latin America is that all your "prep" schools are just filled with rich idiots >_<. I wish there was a prep school here with admission based on MERITS.

By Danhak (Danhak) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Binarystar:

stuyvesant is not a prep school. its one of three specialized public schools in new york city. enrollment is based 100% on performance on an entrance exam. im pretty sure that qualifies as 'merit.' HTH

By Fri3ndlyfire (Fri3ndlyfire) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

i think binarystar meant exactly what you just said...notice he said he wishes there were merit based schools (like stuy) where he lives

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

CanHank, What does the entrance exam consist of?

By Cyberpark (Cyberpark) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

i feel your pain, Binarystar. i, too, attend an international "prep" school in Latin America, and most of the kids are rich, yet not very academically-oriented.

By Winnerpl (Winnerpl) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I go to the school and it's not the coolest place but it's allright. About APs, only allows 2 AP classes? hah. You're asking for complaints from the student body. You can take up to 4 at a time I think but you need parents' permission for more than 3.
Entrance exam consists of paragraph structure questions, reading comprehension, and math.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page