How Bad IS a 'B' ?!?!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: How Bad IS a 'B' ?!?!?
By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Hey everyone- I was just thinking about colleges and the whole application process and whatnot (I am a junior), and a question arose: I got a B one semester in my sophomore year (in History, of all subjects), and a B in the 1st semester of this year (in Math Analysis, yuck). So, how will this really affect my chances at top schools? I'm really not grade-crazed or anything, but will those Bs really make a significant difference? Any input at all is appreciated! Thanks!
-Oh, and I didn't mention frehsman year because a lot of schools don't count those grades.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

IF YOU WANNA RECIEVE BOMBSHELLS FROM PEOPLE ON THIS SITE- GO ON WITH THE POST
OTHERWISE STOP MAKING SUCH POSTS

By Penguin (Penguin) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

What's the distribution of grades at your school? Does that distribution appear on your school's profile? Does a B place you in the 40th percentile of the class in which you earned it? The 60th? The 80th? Context makes all the difference.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

You're right: math analysis is yuck because BC calc is so much nicer. Uh I doubt it will matter at all but it really depends more on class rank.

By Maryville (Maryville) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

OMG, one B for the entire semester. The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!! Math analysis is a pain in the butt though. I got a B+ in the first semester of my junior year and a C- in the next semester. Partly, the reason was that my teacher was anal but it is a tough course.

Don't worry about one B, especially if it is a challenging course.

By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Um, Becks777, any input at all is appreciated BUT YOURS. It was a simple question, and if you do not wish to help out in some way, please do not post. And even though Maryville was critical, she did have something helpful to say. As for Penguin and Vsage3, My school does not rank (it's REALLY annoying), and I also am not quite sure what "distribution of grades" means... can you clarify? Thanks!

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Actually, Danoeire, the fact that your school does not rank will probably be beneficial.

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

How did your grade of a "B" compare to the grades others recieved in the class?

I'm fairly sure that's what they meant. :)

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

What's the big deal about going to the top schools? I'm sure you're a good student and there is nothing wrong with going to some other public/private school that offers great programs.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Distribution: What % of grades that the school gives are As? Bs? Cs? Ds or Fs? At my school, for instance, it's something on the order of 7% As, 39% Bs, 49% Cs, and 5% Ds. No Fs are recorded because they result in immediate expulsion.

On such a distribution, someone with all As save a couple semester Bs would be among the dozen highest-performing students in the school's 50-year HISTORY. At many competitive public and private schools, a scattering of Bs will be just a blip, because almost everyone gets some, and colleges won't care. At a public HS with a distribution markedly skewed towards As, those Bs might raise an eyebrow, especially if you're a professed History or Math major.

If the distribution reflects well on applicants (i.e. it shows that grading is tough at your school, top grades are well-earned, and middling grades are respectable), your school ought to include information about it with your GC recs.

In no event, however, are your Bs serious or fatal, and you can't fix them now anyway. Relax, and apply to any top schools you'd like to attend.

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

"What's the big deal about going to the top schools? I'm sure you're a good student and there is nothing wrong with going to some other public/private school that offers great programs."

WELL SAID!:)

By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Thanks, everyone. This has been very helpful. At my school, I would say that Bs are the average (actually, As and Cs are the majority, thus making Bs the average). My high school IS a public one, but probably one of the most competitive in the area. And Qu1kslvr- how could not ranking students be beneficial? I've always heard of it as a bad thing... Thanks!

By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

*Oh, and by "top schools," I didn't mean USNEWS Top 25 or anything along those lines. I really meant the top schools in general (which include publics, etc.), and the top schools that, as of now, are on my list.

By Marinakitchen (Marinakitchen) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

cow! moomoo. plop

ploplop

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page