"Chances" at University of Washington

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: "Chances" at University of Washington
By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

I'm only a sophomore, and I'm VERY seriously doing early graduation (11th grade = last year of highschool). I can assume pretty well what my stats will be, so here's my predictions. If they end up being true, thne this will be a big help to me. I'm underestimating some things just in case I mess up on them.

Unweighted GPA: 3.4
Weighted GPA: 4.4
Very challenging course load (one of the most challenging).
SAT's: 1260
4 years math; 2 year Spanish; 5 years (credits) science; 4 years English; 6 years social studies.
About 250 hours community service.
A member of 4 clubs, no leadership.
Rank would be in the top 20% at a VERY good school, but I don't think I'll be ranked.

Junior ("Senior") Year Classes:
AP English Language (will take this summer over internet)
AP American History (will take this summer over internet)
Algebra II (will take this summer)
AP Biology
AP English Language
AP Government (1 full credit since I'm taking both)
Honors Physiology
Economics
Pre Calculus
Photography (0.5 credit)

hope I didnnt leave anything out. Well just try to rank my chances (1-100) for University of Washington (I live in Florida) if those were infact my stats. I'm going to apply as early as possible so that will probably increase chances.

By Sasha1221 (Sasha1221) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

I'm assuming you know about the UW stats index - I think if your gpa and SAT are above a certain point they almost automatically take you. You might be at that point, I don't know. You probably have a good chance - are you applying for the honors program?

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I really need answers and id appreciate that all who are competant enough reasonably judge my chances do so and post it. Please?

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I just have a question...where are you from? Graduating early is nearly unheard of here (New Jersey).

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Florida. look at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/4/44411.html for the whole story.

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

hmm..well..that is a very vigorous courseload..but the lack of math (mainly calculus) would be a bit of a detriment if you wanted to major in engineering...but if you're not, then don't worry...is your weighted GPA using a 6-point scale or a 5-point one? Because if its out of 5 points then its good...you're classes are good, but you need leadership in order to get to the top schools..I'd suggest running for office in one of your clubs or getting an internship or going to camp over the summer...something that would give you an edge over everyone else. Also, how are your SAT2s? Those are very important so you should start taking them soon, if you haven't already. You're SATs could use a little beefing up (for the top colleges, that is) but seeing as how you're only a sophmore then you still have plenty of time to retake them. I might seem critical, but after seeing your impressive courseload I really think you have a good chance.

**Ack, me being the idiot that I am completely missed the title of this thread...I got University of Washington mixed up with Washington University...=\...but I think what I said still applies...hmmm...I'll do some research and get back to you on that =P

By Hikaru (Hikaru) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I am an in-state applicant and a lot of my friends had already gotten their acceptance letter from UW, and I was wondering whether or not I had a decent chance in getting into UW.

My current unweighted gpa is 3.78

My SAT score was 1100.... (About SAT scores, I was wondering, whether it mattered if you have a higher Verbal or Math score)

I have taken 4 years of english (I only took honors in sophomore year), 4 years of math (up to AP Calculus), 4 years of science (Up to physics), 2.5 years of history, .5 years of visual art (taking it next semester), and Japanese for 2 years.

I'm ranked 50/451 at my school

My personal Statement was not the best.....

I've joined clubs: FCCLA (Family Career Community Leaders of America), Link Crew, Annual, and I'm a tutor

THANK YOU!

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

the 4.4 is on a 6.0 scale, but it's almost impossible to get over a 5.3 (even with 6 AP's in a single year) because of all the required non-AP classes. i really had no intention of going to a top school, cuz i think i'd fail out. i'd never think my stats would qualify me for any top school; that came as a shock to me.

so, is there really any point in my getting any leadership for u of washinngton or similar schools? i don't think it's necessary and having it would kinda be hell for me...

the SAT of 1260 is just a prediction of what i think i'll get as a junior by the way

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

after doing a bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that Sasha1221 is completely right...they use an Admissions Index that is based on GPA and SAt scores..and if you are above the index, then you're basically in. Recs are pretty important and ECs, interview, volunteer work etc are not important. So if you're SATs turn out well, then there will be no problem...but is your prediction based on practice tests that you've taken? or is it just modesty? Well, whatever it is...just concentrate on those and the rest should fall into place.

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit

could you give me the link for that?

i last heard the admissions index was 3.7/1200 only for instate students.

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

bump

By Charisma_04 (Charisma_04) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

U of W doesn't weigh grades, in fact the whole state of Washington doesn't weigh grades. They will look at your course load, but the only GPA that matters to them is your unweighted. The fact that you're graduating early shows motivation and will be a plus, however, U of W is the best state school in Washington by far, and standards are raised for out of state students. U of W average entering freshman gpa is 3.66, which means that with your gpa you'd still have a chance, but it just wouldn't be the best one. Your SAT score is good enough for U of W, so long as this is your actual scores and not just a prediction, my SAT score prediction was off by 140 points! IF you get some leadership in there, and maybe 2 more ec's i'd say you have about a 70% chance at geting in. :) hope this helped. If you have any other questions about U of W, ask, I live in-state.

By 0486 (0486) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

might any of you have a sample of UW's admissions index chart?

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

^Yes, if anybody does please post it.

i dont know much about colleges, but im pretty sure there's summer A and summer B and then just regular fall admission. the whole reason i want to do early graduation is cuz of personal issues... i need to get out of here ASAP. so id prolly apply summer A (if it even exists.) will this make it harder or easier??

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Hey I got in from Florida. My stats aren't much better than your projections.

~3.5 unweighted; 4.7 weighted
~Most challenging course load available
~About 400 community service hours
~1400 S.A.T.
~Crappy ECís; I was treasurer of one club and members of a few

By Sailorgirl1985 (Sailorgirl1985) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Here's the state of Washington Admissions Chart: http://www.cwu.edu/~cwuadmis/pdf/freshai.pdf

Hikaru - you'll notice that you've got an AI of about 77, 78 has been the cutoff in the past for automatic admission although it could fluctuate some between years. It sounds like you're a pretty solid applicant, and will probably still get in, they'll just have to read your whole application. Perhaps your friends AI's were just a little higher so they got automatic admission. This probably explains why you haven't heard yet. Have you applied to other schools? If you haven't think about that, I think you've got a great chance at the UW (I'm a senior at Inglemoor HS - Seattle suburb) but you don't want to end up with no where to go

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

what ai do u need for automatic admissions?

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

n/m i didn't see the "78" part

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

I had a 3.5 and 1400 as previously stated...but it was actually something like a 3.53 or 3.54, so I JUST made the AI of 78! :)

I had super-hard classes, so that probably helped too.

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

i want to apply as early as possible, so only my 9th, 10th grade and the classes i take this summer (im taking 3 or 4) will be on my transcript..not even my midyear report for 11th grade. there'll be about 16 or 17 credits on my transcript (not including 11th grade, when i graduate ill have around 23), and most people complete 11th grade with 18 so i don't think THATS a problem. i want to apply for summer A, since the whole reason im graduating early in the first place is 'personal problems' here...so is this still a good idea?

i think i can get above a 1260, but i just put that in case for some odd reason i can't. i think i can get at least a 1310.

By 0486 (0486) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

how's my chances of getting into UW with an AI of 74??

cuz i turned in my apps on dec 1st... but i still haven't heard from them yet. however, two of my friends who turned it in only a few days before me got their letters already.. =/

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/757/40850.html

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/8/11249.html

I did a message search about University of Washington.

LINK 1: They said a person with a 3.3 unweighted GPA, 1300 SAT, decent EC's and a course-load similar to Jay's projections had a 90% chance of getting in.

LINK 2: They said all you need to get in from out of state is a 3.4 unweighted and a 1200 SAT and/or 27 ACT.

In both cases, that's an AI of only about 66.

So, which group of people is wrong?

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND! I'M CURIOUS! :):):)

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

will applying for summer A at UW make it easier to get it?????????

By Hikaru (Hikaru) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I have been told that it is, in fact, easier to get in if you applied for Summer because there's less applicant at that time, however, I'm not sure if that's really true or not.

By Jay12602 (Jay12602) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

ne one else?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page