How many leadership positions is too many?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: How many leadership positions is too many?
By Reject (Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:39 am: Edit

I have 4 leadership positions, 2 i founded myself, and 2 i "earned." They are all based on my interests, but is this enough leadership spots or too little in order to get into a top 25 school?

...and please no one go through the jargon of how you shouldn't be aiming for top 25 school based on prestige because i do understand that already and have taken it into an account.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

Depends on what leadership positions those are, and whether or not they will look like resume fillers.

By Reject (Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

ok here they are:
President/Founder of Habitat for HUmanity Chapter [this was because i was so influenced after going on a Habitat Trip]
President of Chemistry Club
Co-Vice President of Debate Team
President of Tutoring Program in my town [name: Improving Math Skills] done it since freshman year

enough? too much? too little?

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:06 am: Edit

I'd say they are great ECs. Not too much, not too little. You choose things you look interested in.

My recommendation to you: Choose a college on where you can see yourself. It doesn't matter if it "INSERT YOUR STATE" University or Harvard. As long as you love it, than that will be the school you'll succeed at.

By Reject (Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

When it comes to the top schools, what matters most is what you accomplished in the clubs, not whether you were "president." Lots of students have titles, but the titles are just decoration: Nothing substantive gets done. Many students don't have titles but are the people who are really taking actions to lead.

By Reject (Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

yea but how do colleges see your committment in that club unless you have a position. i mean, anyone can BS that they did stuff in the club, but if you president, that's gotta have some significant value right?

By Reject (Reject) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Slayer (Slayer) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

i agree with reject.. i think titles and positions mean a lot to colleges. if you're the most active interact club member ever for four years but are never an officer, colleges won't really differentiate you from the interact member who payed $5 at the beginning of the year and never stepped foot in a meeting. if you really dedicate yourself to a club or sport and put the time in it, the positions will most likely come.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Essays, recommendations and interviews are what colleges look at to differentiate students who had an intensive level of participation in a club from those who simply used clubs for resume dressing.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Edited to eliminate double post.

By Reject (Reject) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

thats true, but again, i think that comes with being "president" or a leader of a club. In most cases, if you're head of a club, your going to have some responsibility to maintain the club in some way or another. Therefore, through this, you cannot really BS.

...and please comment on the original question...thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page