I suck...what are my chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: I suck...what are my chances?
By Jasont (Jasont) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:07 am: Edit

I'm new to this forum, I think its really cool and informative...but well after seeing so many people getting 1400+ SAT1 scores and top 10% GPAs...im somewhat depresed

Here's what I have

SAT1: M690/V490
Toefl: 257 (computerized)

I'm from Hong Kong and we follow the British system. So I don't have a GPA. The bad thing is my high school grades are very low. I get alot of Ds and Es. However I do have an outstanding extra-curriculum record.

Captain of tennis team
Athletic team member
Basketball team member
Ex HK national tennis team player (one of three, 10-14 yrs old)
Numerous tennis awards
Volunteer work for two organizations
Owner of an online company which I started when I was 15. I sell radio control car parts on ebay too. I wrote a website for my company with PHP and SQL database.
Worked in an IT company which I developed 2 website for 2 different companies.
Got a job this coming May in a manufacturing company.

The colleges I applied to:

U of Houston
U of Texas Austin
Texas A&M College Station
Texas Tech U
CSU Pomona
Ohio State U - Columbus
Florida State U
U of Florida
Arizona State U
U of Arizona

Please tell me which ones are easier for me to get in and which ones I can't. Thanks in advance!

By Anger (Anger) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

Most of the colleges you applied to seem to be state universities.They look more closely at academic records for international admissions.

You might have a more than a good shot at..
U Houston
Texas Tech U
ASU
FSU

The others esp UT Austin and Texas AM....it depends on what majors you have applied for!

You seem to be excellent in tennis...I really could do with some tips...lol

By Jasont (Jasont) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Yes State U are much more cheaper.
I used to be good at tennis...but now I suck. But its all good cause the history is there. =>

I applying for industrial engineering. According to usnews, Austin ranks 16 and A&M ranks 4. Austin doesn't even have an IE major, the department is under machanical engineering.

what about you, are you still in college?

By Anger (Anger) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

no!i am applying too!
Since those ranks are high....its more difficult to get admission into engg for ..UT austin and A&M!
They might give you are second choice major though!
I too am applying to UT Austin!Lets hope we meet there!

By Acennace (Acennace) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 06:27 am: Edit

Jasont, I am from HK too and my stats are similar to yours.

I think your chance in those universities are really good, especially Arizona ones.

Best of luck.

By Charisma_04 (Charisma_04) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I'm not so sure about international students, but if you get a 1110 on the SATs and certain scores on other tests and take certain classes, your in at ASU, check out the website for the mandatory courses. A good gpa is not a requirement! I'm applying there too! Good Luck! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page