Can I get in? Maybe?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Can I get in? Maybe?
By My3amdelirium (My3amdelirium) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Let me know what you think. These are the schools I applied to:

Yale (deferred EA)
Brown
Swarthmore
Vassar
Wesleyan
Boston College
Bard
University of Rochester

And these are the stats:

white female
ranked 1/69 in public high school
4.91 weighted GPA
senior courses:
AP Calculus
AP Biology
AP French
AP English
AP European History
Concert Band

SAT I: 750 math, 740 verbal
SAT IIs:
Writing 780
Math IC 740
Literature 740
French Reading 740
French Listening 710

The major activities and awards...

14 years of dance training
4 years of color guard (captain/choreographer grade 12)
4 years school musical (supporting lead 11 and 12)
4 years volleyball (varsity 11 and 12)
3 years track (varsity 10 and 11)
3 years springboard diving (not school-affiliated)
4 years concert band (1st chair clarinet grade 12)
4 years student council

National Honor Society historian
National Merit Commended Scholar
University of Rochester Bauch & Lomb Science Award
2001 National French Contest: ranked 5th in NJ, 9th nationally
2002 National French Contest: ranked 5th in NJ, 11th nationally

I know what you're thinking... "Why didn't she get outright rejected from Yale?" I think it's because I have an essay topic that really makes me unique. I wrote about how I grew up reading Charles Dickens and Jane Austen because of my parents' influence, and I ended up making my friends read all the books I like. I "started a cult" of reading.

Do I have a decent shot at any of these schools?

By Mels (Mels) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

are u kidding me?

"Why didn't she get outright rejected from Yale?"

...you're absolutely Ridiculous

By My3amdelirium (My3amdelirium) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

You know, people with a lot better stats than me have gotten rejected. I don't know what it is about me that got me deferred instead, but I'm betting it's my essay. That's all I'm saying.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Vassar, Wesleyan, BC, Bard, Rochester: I'll eat my shoe if you don't get in.

Swarthmore and Brown: I'd be cautiously optimistic.

Yale: Who knows? They're still working out how they want the numbers to behave for their new EA process, so it should be even less predictable than usual.

By My3amdelirium (My3amdelirium) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Hey, Penguin, thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel better to know someone thinks I have a shot at getting in somewhere. My guidance counselor flat out told me I wouldn't get in anywhere, and I basically applied to spite her.

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

Are you serious? Your stats are better than mine and my counselor told me I had a pretty good shot at some quality schools.

I think someone needs to have a little talk with your GC, it seems highly unlikely that a student like you would get rejected from all those schools, a few of which aren't even uber-selective. Yale is one thing, but U. of Rochester?

- Mary

By My3amdelirium (My3amdelirium) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Yeah, my guidance counselor is on crack. She told a bunch of people in my class that they wouldn't even get into community college, which is an insane thing to say. She told me I could get into URochester, but that's only because I got a scholarship from there!

When I went into her office earlier this year to tell her where I was applying, at first she said, "Good, fabulous!" Then, she asked what my SAT scores were, and she said "Hmmm..." Then, she asked what my activities were, and she said, "THAT'S ALL?!?!"

So really, I haven't been able to get any rational advice from her, nor have I been able to get realistic feedback on whether or not I'll get in anywhere.

By My3amdelirium (My3amdelirium) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

bump

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Your GC really IS on crack. Your SAT I's and II's are fine for any elite school and it seems she values quantity over quality in terms of ECs (wrong way to think about). Don't bother listening to a word she says because she honestly doesn't know what she's talking about. I'd say your chances are pretty solid at every school on your list except for Brown and Yale. The former is just plain random in their admissions (even more so than the other Ivy's) and being deferred from Yale definitely hurts (I should know, I was also deferred). But in any case, don't give up hope, definitely send in a letter to Yale, and we'll see what happens come April. Hey, who knows? Perhaps we'll both end up being Bulldogs in a few months!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page