Could you tell me my chances for USC film school?!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Could you tell me my chances for USC film school?!
By Cheekachooka (Cheekachooka) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Hey! I would REALLY like to major in film at USC, but I'm not very experienced at filming, editing, the whole schmeel. I don't have the equipment to practice on, but I do have fun writing scripts in my free time.
I got 1600 on SAT Is and I didnt take any SAT IIs yet (i'm a junior).
In my classes I always just make up random songs or skits and perform them just for fun, and i get along really well with my teachers so I think the teacher recs would say a lot about my creativity (and that's really important to the school, right?)
EGH i got one C- in honors trig and one C+ in honors chem, but my school is seriously really rigorous and hard in the mathematical and science area, if that makes any difference...
the rest of my grades would be half As/half Bs.
Do you think there's any chance that I could get in, or is there anything I should start doing now to help me get in? Thanks for reading this!

By Mela (Mela) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

My friend got in to the Film School two years ago, and she wasn't involved in film for that long (I think just her junior and senior years). However, as a junior and senior she made herself known as someone highly interested in film. I believe she started a film club at her school, produced a lot of her own stuff, and made herself known to the USC Film School teachers at the beginning of her senior year. She called them (not excessively though) to talk about the program, she gave them her name, and just kept on making herself known to them. Also, on her application she expressed her desire to attend ONLY USC. By the time the admission committee reviewed her application, they were familiar with her and they knew that she REALLY wanted to go there.

But even if you don't get in, don't lose hope. My mom's friend's daughter (what a mouthful!) got accepted by USC but not by the Film School. The summer before her freshman year at USC, she went down to the Film School and asked for any position they had available. She ended up working with a bunch of the teachers throughout the summer. A couple of weeks before the beginning of school, someone dropped out of the FS. Guess who got the spot? Yep, she did. So don't worry so much. Just be passionate and go for it.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

Do a search of CC. There's lots of stuff here on USC film.

By Cheekachooka (Cheekachooka) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

ok thanks a lot!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page