Harvard was a fluke. How about Yale...?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Harvard was a fluke. How about Yale...?
By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

I got Harvard EA. Never thought that would happen and it was just luck. I've updated my stats a bit. It's time for Yale...

I am Mexican Guy
1 of 278

SAT I Math: 690
SAT I Verbal: 750
SAT II Writing: 760
SAT II French: 600
SAT II Spanish: 800

Additional Info
Extracurricular Info: Extracurricular Info: EC's: KEY CLUB- A HUGE position that extends beyond the school (15-20 hrs/week) Vice-President One Year, and Historian (sepately at my school) this Year.

LATINO/A CLUB (6-10 hrs/week)- BASICALLY RAN THE WHOLE THING. President for 1 year. Student Advisor to Club Council for 2 years.
LINK CREW/AMBASSADORS (3 years)
QUIZ BOWL (2nd semester). I did Novice for 2 years, JV last year and Varsity this year. We were undefeated, so league champs.(4 years)

SUMMER:
- After 8th grade, worked washing cars.(25hrs./week)
- After 9th grade, summer Biology course. (20 hours/ week).
- After 10th grade, took 2 CC classes for 27 HRS./Week. Got an "A" in French. Got a "B+" in Trig (damn).
- This summer was a Teacher's Assistant at an Elementaty School for 5 weeks. For 30 hrs/week

AWARDS:
- Harvard Book Prize
- University of Rochester Humanities and Social Sciences Award
- English Department Award (10th Grade).
- Award of Merit in HONORS GEOMETRY, HONORS ENGLISH 1-2, HONORS ENGLISH 3-4, HONORS ENGLISH 3-4
- Academic League Selection Certificates of Commendation
- Straight A's Awards (3 years)
- Varsity Academic Letterman Award
- AP Scholar

SENIOR YEAR COURSELOAD:
AP English Literature
AP European History
AP Calc. AB
AP Env. Science
AP French Literature
Psychology 101 (at a college)
(1/7/04,I got an A in this course)

HOOKS:
- SPANISH IS NATIVE LANGUAGE
- SPANISH ONLY SPOKEN AT HOME
- BAD NEGIHBORHOOD

By S17 (S17) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

You have a good chance. If you get in, you have more options - always a good thing. If they reject you, don't sweat it, just go to Harvard. You're sitting pretty right now. I know a lot of people (myself included) who wish they had one acceptance from a HYPS school under their belt.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I'm thrilled as it is and could not have possibly asked for more. I'm jsut wondering if ppl think that it was a fluke... or do I actually stand a chance at Yale?
Thanks again S17.

By Neo (Neo) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Haha...I don't think listing "bad neighborhood" as a potential hook will get you far, Serdu -- unless you make it a significant part of your essay or do something of the like.

However, if you can get into Harvard (congrats, btw), you can (maybe) get into Yale.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Would there be any reason to apply to Yale other than "Look, I got into Yale and Harvard!"

Just a reminder that there are those of us who do not have such letters of acceptances tucked away yet...

But if you really think Yale is the school for you, then go for it...I think you stand a good chance.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Okay dude, you're a Hispanic valedictorian, and your SAT was 1440. You can go anywhere you want.

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

you got harvard EA, why apply anywhere else?

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

stop collecting acceptance letters.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Neo, I actually *did* write about that in the essay. A couple of bodies stuffed in a couple of trunks have been found oh I'd say... 20 ft. away from my front porch. HA! Umm... I've only seen one driveby..drug dealers live conviniently around the corner... God I wish i was kidding.

Yeah, I've always had Harvard dreams but by no means am I 100% on that.

I know! I withdrew from all the other Ivies, I dont want to take pples spots. I feel guilty enought that I already got 2-3 others deferred/rejected. I'm genuinely sorry.

Please, keep posting.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Bump?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Serdu, Yale is trying to boost its hispanic student ratio just like Harvard. I've read reports that they've been trying to recruit in South America for example. In other words, your chances are good, and I think that they would be decent even without your hispanic hook. Good luck!

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

you'll get in because of affirmative action.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Serdu got in because of his credentials. It doesn't appear to me to be a fluke. Number 1 in his class and a 1440 in spite of speaking a language other than English at home. Interesting summer activities. APs and community college courses. Surely he's qualified to do work at Harvard or Yale or any other college in the country. Seems to me he's the kind of hard working, bright student that elite colleges want. Certainly he offers a nice contrast to all the Groton types.

What does his admission have to do with being an Hispanic? Are you saying or implying he's not qualified or capable and he only was accepted because of his ethnicity?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Tsdad - he is obviously 'qualified,' but so are the majority of people who apply. The fact is as a hispanic student his chances are much higher simply by virtue of the fact that not nearly as many hispanic students - if you took all the Harvard applicants with essentially his exact stats and put them in a pile, and looked at the ethnicities of those accepted, I would think very few hispanic or black (or native american I suppose) students would be rejected with those stats, whereas a huge crowd of white kids would be. I'm speculating, obviously, but still.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Ooops. That's a messed up post, haha, and I can't edit it.

After "not nearly as many hispanic students" insert "reach the academic calibre he has reached"

and after "students would be rejected" insert "because there would be far fewer in that pool and to sustain diversity in some sort of proportion with the real world the majority would have to be accepted, whereas - again to sustain the proportion with the real world - the majority of the white students would have to be rejected." and delete the rest of that sentence. haha. ;P

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

How many applicants to Harvard have a 750 SAT I verbal and a 760 SAT II in writing and don't have English as their first language? This appears to be a very special and talented applicant. Harvard will be lucky to have him.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I am curious about why you are bothering to apply to Yale. Did you not want to go to Harvard?

And why are you asking whether your admission to Harvard was a "fluke"? You've got solid stats, achievements, etc., as I am virtually certain I said when you posted months ago .

To me, though, it seems rather insensitive to ask people to rate you when so many people on CC boards were deferred or were rejected by Harvard or Yale. Seems like rubbing salt in their wounds for you to post a message indicating that you're basically collecting admission trophies.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Tsdad, there are (I think) lots of Asian first generation kids who can claim the same. I, for example, am one. I don't speak English at home. I have an 800 SAT I Verbal and 760 SAT II Writing. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood, and have had gang shootings and deaths occur not more than 2 blocks from my home (but it's gotten a lot better in recent years). I was deferred from Harvard. The truth is with Harvard and Yale and all top schools, they have so many talented applicants to choose from, it can very often be a "fluke" that someone gets in and somebody else doesn't (although I don't think it was a fluke in this case.) Virtually everybody who applies is a special and talented applicant, unfortunately they only have 2,000 spots for their 20,000 applicants...

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Haha, dude, don't apply to Yale. Why? Cuz you'll probably get in and hurt my chances. And I'm a deferree! I need all the help I can get!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Northstarmom: Many times college admissions are so unpredictable that even if you get into one school there is still a chance that you might not get into another. Although Serdu got into Harvard (good job by the way) that doesn't mean he will necessarily get into Yale (I think he will). Last year I had a friend get into Harvard but rejected by Cornell, Penn, Brown, and Yale. Serdu probably just wants an honest opinion from those that are familiar with Yale admissions.

Also its not fair for you to say that he is trying to collect admissions trophies because you don't know his circumstances. What if he doesn't have the financial resources to go to Harvard and they didn't give him the financial aid award to meet his need...In this case he has to apply to other schools and keep his options open (its usually good to compare financial aid packages). I think its sort of insensitive on YOUR part not his (as you stated in your post) to be making such a rash judgement. I know people on this site see you as some sort of admissions goddess (and yes you do give great insight most of the time) but I don't think that gives you the right to bash and judge somebody without knowing his or her circumstance...don't take my comments as a personal attack it just seemed that you were attacking Serdu for no apparent reason.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Thanks Bern700, you stated truth and everyone else, thanks a million!

Im so sorry Northstarmom, I by no means want to hurt anyone. The last thing I want to do is hurt the chances of my fellow peers. I withdrew from P-ton and Amherst and Columbia, I really dont want to make anyone feel bad. Im sorry if I came off that way! :(
Yes, I applied to Y because @ my school my teachers and registrar had to work VERY hard to get everything in on time. It would be a slap in the face to get hasty and say " I got H, forget Y." Bern was COMPLETELY right, H's cost is about 5,000 more than my parents annual income and there's 6 of us. So if Y gives me more $, I will most certainly consider it.
I apologize again, and if it means anything, I never expected to get in to H.

Carolyn- Always so helpful, thanks again.

Daggerlee- I wish Asians would get AA, they are just like any other minority and should received these benefits. But in the age of diversity, there are jsut SO MANY qualified asians applying to HYP that ad coms just dont agree with me.
Tsdad- Thanks for all your help

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

You're a Hispanic with amazing grades/scores/ECs ur in anywhere I'd be quite surprised if you don't get in

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

happy to back up a fellow Ivy Mexican!

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Serdu,

Don't let people convince you that you got into Harvard because you're Hispanic. From what you've posted, you got in on your own good merit. Congratulations.

By Blueberry (Blueberry) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Congratulations, Serdu! You were obviously accepted because you are well qualified - for other people to say that you are just collecting acceptances I think is pretty ridiculous...many people who apply EA plan to apply to other schools anyway. I feel like just because Harvard is a big name, other people feel like you have an obligation to just accept and drop all the other schools you were planning to apply to, and that's pretty unfair. Good luck!

By Fredmurtz2 (Fredmurtz2) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Congrats again on your acceptance. I would only say the following:

If Harvard is truly your first choice but you feel their package lacking I would advise you to go to your top choice college and take a greater amount of loans/work rather than grant money at your second choice.

In the end, most places are willing to hear appeals and as a College Graduate, It should not be an undue amount.

If I understand correctly as per the guidebooks Yale leaves grads with an average of 21,600 debt whereas Harvard leaves 11,000. Those numbers may be off a tad but I say this as a person who had to make the hard decision between the easy financial choice and the best fit.

Go with the best fit, if you don't you will have a less enjoyable experience and there's simply no need in this situation..

Yeah I don't know if this made sense but anywho congrads and best wishes

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Thaanks for that! BUMP. Discuss if yiu feel you should!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page