Stanford!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Stanford!!!
By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:06 am: Edit

please rate my chances of getting into Stanford...here are the basics...

current junior:
SATs - 1420 (will retake)
SAT IIs not taken yet
GPA - 4.0uw, 4.6w
PSATS - 212
rank - in top 3%/620

10 total expected AP classes
-5 on AP Euro exam

ECs:
-class president
-philosophy club co-pres
-honor society
-polynesian club member
-numerous choir awards, solos, chamber choir, section leader
-spirit committee chairperson and skit leader
-musical theatre shows, school musicals - a few leads
-tae kwon do - blue belt
-piano classes - 8 years
-oil painting - 3 years
-swim team - 7 years
-UCSF hospital volunteer - 100+ hours

will receive excellent recs, good writer...

and do you know of any Ivy Leagues or well known colleges that I might have a chance in?

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:29 am: Edit

Quote:

SATs - 1420 (will retake)

Hehe... Even I had a 1420 in my junior year [760m 660v]... And I was like: 'Holy crap!!! That is just about an average score for Stanford!'... I took it again in my senior year and ended up with a new round figure of 1500. But, after seeing the type of applicants being admitted to Stanford, I can tell you that it really didn't matter whether I had a 1420 or a 1500-- for Stanford specifically doesn't put my emphasis on high scores, unlike other top school.
I'd suggest you take your SAT IIs too-- even though I know they're optional for Stanford... Not taking them tells Stanford that you're trying to hide something... Take them! But don't really bother about not maxing them-- as long as you take them.

Your rank is top-notch, and so is your GPA.
Your ECs seem good-- but nothing really stands out, if you know what I mean.

Your essays are going to be one of the most important things for Stanford-- you'll need to have a very strong voice to the essays.

I'd say you have a great shot at all top schools. Apply to the Ivies, and don't listen to some people on this board, who like dissuading people from applying.

For Stanford though, going by the types of acceptances, all I can say is-- Good luck! If all goes well, I hope to see you at the Farm in 2005!

By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

bump

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 05:40 am: Edit

Excellent GPA, academics. Too many leadership positions - focus on what you enjoy.

I will warn you, you seem to be the standard asian applicant to Stanford. Make that application count. And try reposting this in the Stanford section of the CC board.

By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

thanks..i'm planning to play up the musical theatre ECs because it's a big part of my life and although I live in the Bay Area, I'm the only non-Caucasian person in my musical theatre company. would that help?

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

ABSOLUTELY.

By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:52 am: Edit

does anyone know the Stanford application policies for ECs? do they force you to narrow your ECs down to a few major ones, or will they accept a page? ...since I'm a junior, I still have much to learn. haha.

By Aquaman (Aquaman) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:41 am: Edit

I believe they do force you, but even if they don't I would reduce them in order to make it seem like you are only focused on certain ecs. I was in Teenage Republican Club and some other clubs, but on my application I only mentioned my top clubs and the ones I held a leadership position for more than one year. Just a thought.

By Jackiec (Jackiec) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

thanks...no i totally see your point. anyone else out there willing to rate my chances? it would be much appreciated as I have next to no clue about what great scores/GPAs/ranks/ECs are. it'd be a tremendous help. thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page