Cal Tech = Cal Poly?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Cal Tech = Cal Poly?
By Uuaww (Uuaww) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

Ok i keep hearing about cal tech on here, im from cali and i know that school doesn't exist, so im guessing its either cal poly san loius obispo, or cal poly panoma; which is it? btw is this school hard to get into out of state? b/c im told im a shoe in w/ 4.0 1150 as a bio major though.

By Isaman (Isaman) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

you are thinking of cal poly san louis obispo (im from Cali.) that, my friend, is very easy to get into. Cal Tech, however, is a very different story. I don't think you will get into Cal Tech with an 1150...since it is a highly competitive school...i think you need like a 1450 +...i dunno, i dint apply there. But cal poly, dont worry, you're a shoe in. I already ahve been accepted. Good luck budy tell me how things turn out.

By Uuaww (Uuaww) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

i never even heard of cal tech, i don't even know where it is... i thought they were the same, you know cal polytechnical school san louis obispo? where is cal tech? shine some light on this school for me bro.

By Isaman (Isaman) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

cal polytechnical etc. is in pomona, California. I was already accepted there on what they call "on the spot admission." Anyways, Cal Tech is obviopusly in Calif. where? I don't know, but it is a very prestigious school known for it's dedication to the math/science field.

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:19 am: Edit

Cal Tech is like MIT, but CA version. It's called California Institute of Technology. www.caltech.edu

very hard to get into

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Actually the California Institute of Technology is in Pasadena. Many consider it the hardest school in the country to get into and it rivals MIT for the title of best school for sciences and engineering. The 25th percentile of SATs STARTS at 1470 and goes on from there. It's a private school with an undergraduate enrollment of about 950. Small but pretty campus, intense academics, graduates can pretty much write their own job tickets.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

there is also a Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Cal Poly SLO is actually a much more prestigious school then Pomona. Cal Tech is on an entirely different level. You're a shoe in at Pomona, Cal Poly SLO on the otherhand is a different story.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Yeah Cal Tech Exists... and its gonna be pretty difficult for you to get in with a 1150.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

He's not a shoe-in for Ponoma...the average SAT is a 1450!

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

oh, you mean cal poly pomona...

By Culovv (Culovv) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

the average sat at cal poly pomona is sub 1050....

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Caltech is the #1 school for science and engineering in America!

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

MIT!!!!

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:10 am: Edit

MIT, because I'm sick of the sun >=O

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

1150? wow.... i'm sorry. that's going to be VERY hard to get into.
"Many consider it the hardest school in the country to get into"
-Actually, that's West Point; then Princeton; then Harvard; then MIT. Asssuming you're not talking about private schools, then I'd have to add Philip Exeter.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

it IS the hardest, doesn't it have the lowest acceptance rate? it also has the smallest student to teacher ratio and •••• like that.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

You have California Institute of Technology, called Caltech (one word), a private school that is very difficult to get into as mentioned above. It actually has a rather high acceptance rate, about 21%, when compared to some other highly selective schools, but that is because the applicants are self-selective. People below a 3.7 unweighted and 1400 SAT mostly do not even bother to apply because its average is 3.9 unweighted, top 3% of class, and 1520 SAT and its low end is only about a 3.8 and 1450 SAT.

You then have the University of California system like UCLA and Berkeley and numerous others which are the hardest public universities to get into in California but not as hard as Caltech.

You then have the California State Universities, also public colleges, which are far easier to get into than the UC's. That system has some technical institutes (geared toward sceince and engineering) called the Polytechnics which are somewhat more difficult to gain entry than other Cal State colleges but somewhat easier than the UC's. Main among those is California Polytehnic State Institute of San Luis Obispo (also called Cal Poly -- San Luis Obispo) for which the average is a 3.5/1200. There is also California State Polytechnic Institute of Pomona (Cal Poly -- Pomona) where the average is 3.2/1000. However, if you are from out-of-state, you need to be higher than their averages to get admitted. Those Polytechnics are actually excellent schools and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is considered by engineers to be among the best engineering schools in the nation for actually teaching undergrad engineering.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Not to be elitist, but if you don't know where caltech is you probably weren't competetive enough to apply. I could say the same about myself in regards to Harvey Mudd. I had never heard of the school until late last semester. I sincerely hope caltech != calpoly.

By Badreception (Badreception) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:17 am: Edit

i think some one asked..caltech is in pasadena. i live in so cal and the every one here like knows how competitive cal tech is. Even enstein came to caltech and did research there. Also, a lot of JPL studies are done at cal tech.

POST EDITED. Please do not use obscenities - even mis-spelled ones - on the CC board. Doing so can get you banned. Thank you. Moderator Skyhawk

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

CalPoly is not even ranked by U.S News...or is it?

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

ok people are confusing these different schools

california institute of technology (caltech) --in Pasadena, CAlifornia
California State polytechnic University Pomona
Pomona college
California state university san luis obispo

--caltech and pomona college are very hard to get into. cal poly SLO is competitive but not like caltech and pomona(which are private). Cal Poly Pomona is not that hard to get into.

there ya go

By Uuaww (Uuaww) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

no your wrong bro, ponoma is easier than slo, both are cal states, i know that for a fact, and btw im not applying to cal tech, i was just confused, anyways slo is a lot harder than panoma

By May_1 (May_1) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

Uuaww,

That's what yackityack was saying, that while SLO is harder than CAL POLY POMONA, it is easier to get into that POMONA COLLEGE and CALTECH.

4 SCHOOLS

CALIFORNIA STATE POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE OF POMONA (Public)
CALIFORNIA STATE POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE OF SAN LUIS OBISPO (Public)
POMONA COLLEGE (Private)
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (aka CALTECH; Private)

Those are list in increasing order of difficulty to be admitted with Cal Poly Pomona a distant fourth, but Pomona College second.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page