Northwestern and Cornell - Share Your Knowledge!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Northwestern and Cornell - Share Your Knowledge!
By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

What's happening fellow college pursuers? I'm wondering what my chances are at Northwestern and Cornell. I have the following stats and a sophomore brother at Cornell currently. Any advice is appreciated.

1400 SAT 1
800 Wr, 730 Math IIC, 700 US Hist.
Top Decile in a public school class of 300.
Essays and recs are great.
Toughest courseload offered (8 APs)
The worst thing is that I got 4 As and 2 Cs this semester (BC Calc and AP Physics); my counselor wrote a letter saying the general 'it wasn't due to lack of effort' etc., but I know it may still kill me.
Thanks again.

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, my Cornell interviewer is a close family friend and she wrote the best possible letter of rec (I think she got my brother in).

By Mela (Mela) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I don't know the specifics... but a girl from my school got accepted at Cornell last year with stats similar to yours (I think lower, actually). Instead of academics, her strong area was community service. She had some ridiculous amount of hours, but she didn't hold any leadership positions (to my knowledge) and wasn't what you would call "at the top of her class." She got in no problem (and she's absolutely loving it, by the way). You seem more qualified for admittance than she was, so I think you have a good chance of getting in. Good luck!

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

You have the stats, lets hope your ECs and Recs are equally impressive. I'm hoping my stellar (and I mean insanely awesome) recs will boost my subpar SATII. But, I think you're good either way. As long as you didn't screw up your essays or something major that will raise the red flag.

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Thanks guys. 'preciate it!

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Anybody else?

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

That 800 writing sAT II will look mighty pretty. I got into Northwestern, Same SATS, a little worse SAT IIs but probably better GPA/class rank/course rigor than you. You have a good shot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page