Martial Arts?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Martial Arts?
By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Is anyone here involved in one or more martial arts? I'm amazed when I hear about all the EC's everyone on this board does. Though I do two or three minor clubs in school, martial arts is my real passion. I have a black belt in tae kwon do, and I instruct children's classes at my dojang 15 hours a week (and have held this job since 9th grade - I'm in 11th). For the past year and a half, I also have been training and competing in many east coast Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and sumbission wrestling tournaments on the east coast, usually taking 3rd or 4th in my weight class. Would colleges see it as somewhat unique that I train usually 5 days a week, and that I'm a girl so involved in martial arts?

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

hey!! i'm involved in martial arts too, but i'm just starting out so its somewhat different..i'm like the third rank up in okinawan karate. i definitly think it is a cool and unique EC (i'm a girl too) plus it's fun!! :) i try to devote at least 3 days/week to it...sometimes 4...and i love it, i'm soo glad I started!

By Elgorila (Elgorila) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Yea, I definitely think you should mention it on your apps, especially since you spend so much tie on it (~25 hours per week?). I used to take Tae Kwon Do in middle school, and got up to 1st degree black belt. Then I started to get bored of it, because the classes seemed redundant. In college, I want to take up Muay Thai or a similar Martial Art, and start training competitively.

BTW, to anyone else who reads this thread, should I mention my black belt on my apps? I stopped training around seventh grade.

By Najy (Najy) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Yeah, i have a black belt in tae kwon do and a yellow belt in tien shan pai kung fu. i wonder if it helps? It would be fun to do it in college....instead of boring gym equipment...elgorila, im in the same boat as you, i stopped after black, around 7th or 8th grade. i mentioned it as one of my activites though, i mean it took like 6 years!

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

"okinawan karate"

Isn't that the Karate Kid's karate?

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:40 am: Edit

I have done:
Kenpo Karate (third degree brown belt - one away from black)
Yang family tai chi
Longfist and spring leg Wudan forms
and am currently taking Tiger and Crane Hung Gar.

Okinawan karate, yes, was showcased in karate kid. but that means nothing. That's like saying "Honda Civic? Isn't that Vin Diesel's car?"

By Najy (Najy) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:37 am: Edit

vin diesel is one of the leading martial artists of our time. ahhahahaaaaaaaaa

just like chuck norris

By Acennace (Acennace) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:15 am: Edit

I do Shorinji Kenpo
8 years, but now I just do it at home since there is no dojo here...

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Elgorila, I took a couple of muay thai classes over the summer and it's a great workout, plus the techniques are extremely powerful. It's great fun...I even got to go to some fights (both muay thai and NHB) with fighters trained by the teacher. I wish I had somewhere close to me to train though - the only place has classes at times when I am working :(.

By Stef86 (Stef86) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Yep I take Tae Kwon Do. I've been in it since I was 6 years old and I have a 2nd Degree Black belt. I haven't been attending classes lately though because we moved to a rural area. I'll get back into it when I got to college =D

By Muaytb1 (Muaytb1) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I've been training in martial arts for the past 10 years (now 11ths) and i was thinking, what dose all this EC crap bs get you? nowhere, martial arts is an art for health, that is what i relegated it to (before i used to pratice 5 hours a day, now only 1 daily for health). if you wanna go to college, its studying, no brutal crap. the only colleges in the world that cares about your EC are american colleges, they don't care about it in england and such.

By Muaytb1 (Muaytb1) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

oh yea, muay thai is sweet (muaytb1?), i started a few years ago after i got my black belt. I don't know what i was thinking when i spend 35 hours a week on martial arts for 4 years. lol

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I don't want to go to college in England :)
And besides, there's no way I do martial arts just to have something to fill in the blanks on an app! I practice because they're fun, and thats how I make the money i will use to buy FOOD in college :)

By Muaytb1 (Muaytb1) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

when you get to college and you meet a guy who likes martial arts and want to sparr, thats me ok?

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Fine, but it has to be NHB :)

By Meh (Meh) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

hey, I just got my shodan (1st) degree black belt in karate. its taken me a whole 10 years (im a junior), but i finally did it. i also teach classes (about 2 hrs a week) and will definitely be writing about it on apps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page