Please Help me out, Can I get in?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Please Help me out, Can I get in?
By Stef86 (Stef86) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Hi I'm wondering what are everyone's opinions on which of the following schools I can get into (and which I can't):
UPenn
NYU
Wash U in St. Louis
CMU
UTexas Austin
UNC Chapel Hill
RIT
Emory
Northeastern
Bentley

Here are my stats:

Female, Caucasian(from Yugoslavia, just got my US citizenship 4 months ago), Eastern Orthodox

SAT I: 1340, 690 math, 650 verbal

SAT II: 690 writing, 630 math, 520 Physics :P

ACT: 29 first time (with a 35 math)
30 second time (with 31 math, 33 english)

GPA + Rankings: Not done at my school. We're all considered the best students in the state though. Therefore, I'm at least top 10%. Started attending my school in 11th grade and before I attended a large public high school in NC.

Classes:
9th grade; PIB English (A), PIB Economic Legal and Political Systems (B), PIB Spanish II (B), PIB Biology (A), PIB Geometry (B), Women's Ensemble Chorus (A), PIB Art (A), I can't for the life of me remember the last class but I know I had an (A) in it

10th grade; PIB English (A), PIB World History (A), PIB Spanish III (A), PIB Chemistry (A), PIB Algebra II/ Trig (B), Concert Choir (A), Computer Applications (A), Health/PE 9 (A)

All 11th and 12th grade classes are college level with college textbooks.:

11th grade;
1st semester: Before Calculus AB (A), Intermediate Spanish (A), Honors Composition and Research (B), US History (A), Honors Physics (B), Chorus (A)
2nd semester: Before Calc AB (B), Intermediate Spanish (A), Honors Comp and Res (A), US History (B), Honors Physics (B), Chorus (A)

12 Grade;
1st semseter: AP Calculus AB (A), AP Statistics (A), Literature by Women (A), AP Biology (A), Leadership (B), Advanced Spanish (A), Chorus (A)

Academic Awards(copied and pasted from my commonapp b/c I'm lazy):
A piece of my artwork, titled “the Peacock” and made with chalky pastels, was shown in the Great Frame Up Art Show in Charlotte, NC when I was in 9th Grade. I was a member of Renaissance, which was a society that recognized students on the honor roll who exhibit good leadership and are active members of the community, all 4 quarters of 9th and 10th grade. Membership was based on a quarterly basis. I received the RIT Computing Medal in my 11th grade year. This award honors my accomplishments as a student, my involvement as a member of my school and community, and my computing abilities. In 11th grade, I participated in a scientific symposium titled the National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science, and Technology, and submitted as well as presented a paper titled “An Equation to find the Amount of Energy Needed to Disintegrate a Porous Material” in the area of Physics. I was accepted to the All Aroostook (county) Chorus in my 11th and 12th grade year.

Sports:
Tae Kwon Do: 11 years (since age of 6), 2nd degree black belt, taught little kids and judged at tournements, 3rd place at nationals in sparring in 2000
Cheerleading: 11th and 12th grade- sometime cheer caller
Softball: 11th grade

Clubs:
Key Club (chair of project committee), 11th and 12th
Prom Committee, 11th and 12th
Graduation Committee, 12th
Film Club, 12th
Art Club, 9th and 10th
FBLA, 10th (recieved medal for being in the top 20 of 100 participants in business math at states)
Creative Writing Club, 9th
Freshman Board, 9th

Volunteer work (other than with clubs):
Church- Choir(1 of 2 members) and fundraising coordinator (9th and 10th grade)
Service Learning- School webpage and dorm cleaning in 11th grade, school office work 12th grade
Dish Washing for the School (11th and 12th grade)

Hmm I think that's everything. Ask me if you want me to clarify anything. Thanks so much.

By Stef86 (Stef86) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Oh I forgot to mention that I should recieve excellent reccomendations and I think I have decent essays

By Debaterocks (Debaterocks) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

i would say in at all for sure except UPenn...which u have a good shot at...but just like wvery other ivy it is a crapshoot...good luck

By Stef86 (Stef86) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Which HS did you go to in Charlotte?!?

An IB school, too!

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I think that your board scores make UPenn and Wash U reaches; if you raised them, though, you'd be golden. Has the January sitting already passed?

By Stef86 (Stef86) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:42 am: Edit

I went to East Mecklenburg from 2000-2002.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page