I don't think I have any safeties

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: I don't think I have any safeties
By Layne (Layne) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Could anyone suggest me any college that I can surely get into, and get a reasonable amount of financial aid? I have good enough scores and grades but since I'm international(from Nepal)and need a huge amt of aid, I'm not sure of my chances.
Help me pick some safties.. anyone..

My stats:

SAT IIs: 800 Writing, 710 Physics, 690 II C
SAT I Nov: 650 V, 730 M
SAT I Dec: 630 V, 790 M
TOEFL: 300
School doesn't rank.Top 5%
Toughest courseload available in my school.

Could anyone suggest any colleges for me that have around Feb 1 deadline?

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Speculating here. You haven't provided a lot of information, but I'm guessing you are male, and interested in sciences. NYU, Bard, and Trinity (Hartford, Ct.) have Jan. 15 deadlines. Filing is still possible due to the internet. Bard and Trinity might be looking for hard science types and might be willing to provide some funds. FX, I once heard that Trinity had money to apply for chemistry and applied math. I mention NYU because you seem to be a good fit there, although money is hard to get. Best of luck to you.

By Myoryu (Myoryu) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Brandeis offers a lot of scholarship/financial aids to int'l students. Brandeis is a good safety if you don't apply for fa and a good range if apply for fa.

WPI offers a lot of scholarship as well. It's a good safety for you.

By Layne (Layne) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

anotherdad: You're right - I'm interested in the sciences. I'm checking out the colleges you suggested.

myoryu: I already applied to brandeis. Hope i'll be accepted there.

thanks - both of you..
anyone else with some more suggestions?

By Layne (Layne) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

bump....

By Financelad (Financelad) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

I am very sorry to tell u this but if you are international there is noooo way you are getting federal aid or loans or stuff. You can only get scholarships and they only give those to a select few :(

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Anotherdad, I realize you were speculating with your suggestion of NYU, but I wouldn't call NYU a safety for too many students, especially this year. Also, NYU offers NO financial aid to international students, and limits merit scholarships.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I mentioned NYU only because of the application date and because Layne seemed to be a very good fit for the school. Not a safety though and the financing etc. could be a real problem. I might see a chance of him getting a CAS presidential scholarship based on the combination of 800 SAT II writing, and 790 Sat I M.

By Linedeacon (Linedeacon) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

PITT!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page