Which Ivy Leagues?...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Which Ivy Leagues?...
By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

Hey everyone... I'm just wondering which Ivy Leagues I could go to. Here are my stats so far...
(I'm a junior)-
GPA: 3.9 UW, 4.1 W (no class rank)
SAT: as of now, 1300 (660 M, 640 V), but after my majorly-intense prep, should be 1400-1440
SAT IIs: none as of now, but I will take them in Writing, Math IC, and French (expect the low 700s).
APs: will have taken: AP French, AP Calc. AB, AP English, AP Environmental Science (expect 4-5s)
ECs: Golf, Junior Statesmen of America, Current Events Club, Hospital Volunteer, National Honor Roll, CSF etc. etc.....
good essays, recs, blah blah blah...
OH! and also, estimate my chances for the Ivies with ED! (will that even help that much?)
Thank you all SO much!!!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Your stats seem a little below average...and nothing really stands out. Also you should not be calculating if ED will help your chances. That seems ridiculous. Haven't you been reading the posts about backing out of ED? If a school is not your first choice then you should not be applying ED. Applying ED just to improve your chances is immature and stupid. I seems like you just want to go to a school because of prestige and because of those damn USNEWS rankings.

I'm sorry if my comments seem harsh, I don't mean to be offensive. One recommendation that I would give you is to research universities based on the programs you are interested in, or on other factors that are important, etc. Then apply based on RESEARCH not on PRESTIGE.

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

You might not want to include National Honor Roll on there.

- Mary

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

Double post.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

"Your stats seem a little below average"

Um, last time I checked average SAT scores were in the 1000s...not to mention that a 3.9 gpa is great! As long as you write excellent essays and get good recs, i see no reason why you couldnt at least have a shot at a lower ivy...good luck!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

What I meant by stats being a little below average was not overall average but Ivy average which is in the 1400-1500 range. The GPA is great but nothing stands out in his application. Calidan has a shot but needs something to make his application shine...(hopefully that doesn't sound too cheesy)

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

What I meant by stats being a little below average was not overall average but Ivy average which is in the 1400-1500 range. The GPA is great but nothing stands out in his application. Calidan has a shot but needs something to make his application shine...(hopefully that doesn't sound too cheesy)

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Ivys aren't always in the 1400-1500 range. Cornell is 1290-1460, Penn is 1300-1500. You don't have to get above 1450 to get into an Ivy- that is a myth. ED is a huge commitment- don't base it off of prestige. Make sure you can imagine yourself at the school. Applying ED out of strategy is a growing concern of colleges- the reason why so many are switching to EA. Its understandable that students with pressure on so many levels can go that path without thinking. I wouldn't say it's being idiotic or irresponsibile, just a result of being uninformed or pressured. I wish you luck with your college search next year. Hope you can find someplace you love.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

I know that's just a myth I got into Wharton ED with a 1300 but my ECs, recs, essays, GPA, rank were great...The only thing that wasn't stellar was my SAT, but I still got in. All I am saying is that if Calidan wants to have a chance he needs to improve his SATs to possibly make up for a lack of impressive ECs.

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Well, i have to disagree on the ECs aspects. There are only three kinds of ECs that can really get you into college:

(1) Sports Recruit
(2) Amazing Musical Talent/Other Talent
(3) High-Ranking Member in nationally or internationally known organization/national contest or science fair winner

Otherwise, the difference between ECs doesn't really matter. Does it matter that one student was class president while another was a non-recruited varsity swimmer. Does it matter that one student was NHS president while the other did a different activity after school. As long as you have ECs you're competitive. Only superbly unique ones will help guarantee admission. A 1280 SAT, 3.2 applicant can have better ECs than a 1500, 4.0 GPA applicant. The 1500, 4.0 GPA is still a more desireable candidate.

I'd imagine your GPA/essays/recs are what really got you into Penn. Congratulations, i wish you good luck. This is the real tough part of college- not the admissions process, but getting good grades and graduating in 4 years. Now that's a challenge. Good luck with everything.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Thank you, everyone! Bern700: I do not plan on basing my application decisions on rankings; I have already done ample research. However, thank you for your concern! This was essentially a novelty post. and about the ED thing- I was just wondering if it really makes that much of a difference (in the Ivy League), because my real first choice would be Columbia (ED). However, I don't think that that dream is attainable.
Marestar20- Why would I not want to put "National Honor Roll" on my application?
And on the topic of making my application "shine" -- I don't really have very many things in that area. I have played piano for a number of years (and I am very proud of the level at which I play), I speak 3 languages: English, French, and Spanish (close to fluently), and I am applying for Irish citizenship (<--- this one probably doesn't mean that much. Maybe it shows my strong ties to my heritage? )
...Anyone else?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Personally I am Mexican, my dad is Swiss, and I live in the US. So the angle or "hook" that I worked was that I am trilingual and that I can bring a unique perspective to the college i'll be going to. I think you could sort of work the same angle talk about how your irish heritage as well as your intense study of the various cultures of the languages you speak have influenced your views and how your unique perspective will be essential to the college. Make them want to have you. I think this could be a great angle, It worked for me. Those are the things that make your app shine...lol you should have put those things in your initial post. Also your passion for piano is another thing that you can talk about, you might not have numerous ECs but you put a lot of work into the piano so SHOW them that passion. From what I have read now I think that your chances at a few IVYs are pretty decent. Keep it up! In regards to Columbia ED, I'm not that familiar with their ED program but usually ED does boost your chances so if it is your first choice go for it. I know that if you apply to Penn ED your chances really go up. So I'm guessing Columbia ED is similar.

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Why shouldn't we put National Honor Role on the application? Does it look like the person is trying to hard?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

From what I've heard it's sort of a scam that everyone can get if you pay for it so it doesn't look very impressive and adcoms might laugh at you because you got scammed...

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Ya, National Honor Roll is a scam that gets you to send them money. Their address on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC is apparently the address for Mail Boxes Etc. Don't send it to colleges because it means nothing.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

Well, I didn't send them any money at all, yet I am still on it. So how is this a scam?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

go to the financial aid and scholarship section of this site and check the Natl Honor Roll thread. Look at Lkirkla's post. It explains it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;):)

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

I don't know......I mean something that is this big, this famous, and this encouraged by teachers cannot be considered that stupid. Can it?

By Lkirkla (Lkirkla) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Greetings all: National Honor Roll is a vanity press. You send them money; they print junk in their "commemorative yearbook." Doesn't mean a thing. Please see my posting at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?6/35760 Hope this helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page