Will USC accept me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Will USC accept me?
By Mela (Mela) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Hi! USC is my first choice, but I am worried about getting in. Please give me your comments!

* SAT I: 800 Verbal, 590 Math, 1390 Combined.
* SAT II: 770 Writing, 770 Literature, 520 Math IC.

* Student Body President (not your stereotypical one). Trust me, I didn't think I'd win.
* National Honor Society member
* Cofounder and harpist of Clarinet-Flute-Harp Trio
* Student Ambassador
* More than 700 community service hours during high school
* Concert Choir member
* 4.0 unweighted GPA, 4.23 weighted
* 6 APs; AP Euro: 4, AP Eng Lang: 5, the rest I'm taking this year: French Lit, Eng Lit, Music Theory, and Art Hist.
* 4 Honors classes
* Challenging course load all semesters
* Studied harp for 8 years with principal harpist of major orchestra
* Self-taught guitarist
* Performer (harp/guitar/voice) at local venues
* Attended Interlochen Arts Camp Summer 2003

I want to major in Vocal Jazz Studies with minors in Art History and English. I am very prepared for my audition! What are my chances?

Thanks for your time!

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

i would say u have a very good shot

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

If you're a Cal res you are in 100% - If you are out-of-state I would give you a 90% shot

By Mela (Mela) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

I'm from Los Angeles. I really really really hope you're right!!!

By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

Why would in-state out-of-state status make a difference if USC is a private school?

By Mela (Mela) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Please help me! If you have any stats, any personal experiences, please send them in. They are greatly appreciated.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

It still makes a difference. 50% of USC students are from California.

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Let's hope they overlook your tendencies of being an English-not math- wizard (referring to your SAT scores). If so, you're good brotha.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

the reason that 50% of USC students are from California is not because those students are given preferential treatment. California happens to be an enormous state and everyone in that state has heard of USC. USC does not have the kind of reputation that will draw large numbers of applicants from everwhere in the country, which is why the freshman profile ends up skewed

By Whaaasssaaa (Whaaasssaaa) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

wtf are you applying to USC for???!!! you could do so much better!

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

yea i think usc is like a safety for u

By Mela (Mela) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

In response to Whaaasssaaa... I've worked way too hard in high school (academically). I've had to fight to keep up my music while attending a "college prep" high school with (pretty much) a non-existent music program. I've decided that college is going to be for me! YAY! I can't wait to study MUSIC, ART HISTORY, and ENGLISH all day long--sigh. When I went to Interlochen Arts Camp this past summer, I actually LOVED going to class! What a concept! The reason I'm scared about getting in to USC is because I've heard horror stories--you know what I mean? Like this girl at my school last year applied to eleven schools (and she was a good student!) and got accepted at only ONE of them. That kind of thing scares me. Anyway, I REALLY appreciate your comments!

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Mela- I hope you will get in to USC! Don't listen to people saying you could do better, because 1) it's an awesome school and getting better every year, and 2) you should just be happy with where you are.

I had a 1290 SAT and a 4.0 weighted gpa and I got in last year. I had really good ECs, however, which probably were a major factor in being accepted. The average SAT is something like a 50% range of 1300- 1430 and a 4.06 gpa. You have about those statistics, with really good ECs, so you should have a very good chance of getting in. Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page