Desperate 1240 SAT should make you comfortable to rate me ag

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Desperate 1240 SAT should make you comfortable to rate me ag
By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

well i am Changrobert again (the guy with the low SAT score) got back my senior first semester grade:
again, i came here 3 years ago from Taiwan who loves Art and Music but also good at math and science, my parents are in Taiwan.

Stats again:

SAT: Math: 750, Verbal: 490 (Retake January)
SAT 2: Math IIC: 780, Chinese:800, Writing: 640

GPA: 4.04
Senior first semester GPA: 4.6

Linear Algebra: A
AP Art: A
AP Physics: A
English 4: A
Spanish 3 honors: A

EC's:
National Young Leaders Conference (Washington D.C)
Global Young Leaders Conference (Vienna~Venice)
Student Council-Secretary
Disciplinary Council
Swim Team-Varsity
Basketball Team-JV
Student Drama Director
Academic League-Varsity
good community services

sent in my AP Art Portfolio and vocal tape for supplimental material

good essays and rec

Applying to :

Harvard-(for fun)
Upenn
Columbia
Northwestern
UCB,UCLA,UCSD,UCI
USC
NYU

i guess i am going to no where...well..maybe community colleges...

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

what if i have a 1400 SAT...everything will be different

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

You probably could get into most second tier colleges, and also to at least some colleges ranked 25-50 on the US News list.

Your math score is excellent. Your SAT verbal is mediocre, however the fact that your writing score is higher would indicate to the colleges that you have the ability to express yourself in English. It also would indicate that probably your SAT v underestimated your reading ability in English.

Stop kicking yourself. You certainly aren't a loser and aren't destined for CC unless you do something unwise such as only applying to top 25 colleges.

Don't judge yourself by the sky high scores that you see so many posted on CC. The average SAT scores in the US are around 1020. Yet, most students taking the SAT end up going to college.

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

i see. in fact one of my friend had a 960 and got into UCSD...pretty crazy..but anyway please keep giving me advices

By Imperator_Shaf (Imperator_Shaf) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

how did you get a 490 on the Verbal section of the SAT but get an A in English?

By Infinity (Infinity) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

what is your major? I'm sure it will make a difference if it doesn't have to do with English. Even though it may be your intended major, it probably will be wiser to go undecided or as another major to put the emphasis on your very good SAT I and II scores.

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

economics is my major. i got an A in English because:
1).it's not AP English
2). Throughout the semester we have been writing in class essays for the tests. as you see, i have 640 on the writing test, and i got 11/12 on the writing part...but i just suck at Verbal SAT I..

Imperator Shaf...obviously you do not understand my problem.. but still thank you for your questioning

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

so.. more opinions...i don't get it. i spend about 2 hours a day.
first 30 minutes...read Time Magazine and take notes
second 30 minutes... review words i have been memorzing for the past year...about 800 words
third 60 minutes...review the 10 real SAT tests i have done last year...(1 test per day)

to be honest, if i am a above average american...today i would have already get 1500 with this preparation..by the way...i am pretty consistant for the past 14 months...and FREAKING STILL GETS A 520 ON THE SAT........I HATE SAT......i am going to throw up....i am sick of SAT

By Usnewsranker (Usnewsranker) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

The SAT is biased towards students whose first language is English. I was born outside the US but I was fortunate enough to learn English first. Regardless, for a student to recently arrive in the US and score at the average level is in itself an accomplishment. Consider taking the TOEFL or explaining your circumstances (which I'm sure you did).

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

so...more opinion about my chances....

By Hulala (Hulala) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

Hey Changrobert,
Sorry I cannot judge what are your chances but infact I am posting to evalute my chances.
I am almost in same situation as you are.Or you can say even worst.
My sat score id 450-verbal
780-maths
sat2-730 physics
800-maths2c
writting taking this january.I think I will get around 650-700.

I am indian(international) and applying for transfer.But I am quite confused with university selection.Like verbal score puts a comma in making decision.I meann I tried what i could do but I am not that good at craming vocabulary so..
Now I don't know what should I do.I wanted to apply but 450..My university grads are good and I am in top 10% of considerably good university.We dont have GPA system so cant tell exact GPA.what schools should I apply?

By Anger (Anger) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Hulala,
I am applying as a transfer too.
Which college did you study in and what was your percentage?
Most colleges put more emphasis on your college score!

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

so more opinion about me....

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

advices would be appreciated

By Hulala (Hulala) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

Hey anger
My college aggregate percentage is 71%.
If you use WES conversion of indian institute grades to US equivalents that is 60+ out of 100 is A than I have taken total 12 courses in freshman year and I have A in most of them and in one subject I have C+.

I have studied in National Institute of technology,Surat.(Formally known as rec(Regional engineering college),surat.It is one of best engineering university in my state-gujarat. Considered good in country. Like in each state one engineering college is there which is under central government's administration.

By the way anger from which country are you from?what is your status?Which colleges are you going to apply?

Changrobert

I think that you might get in UCLA,UCSD,USI
also you have good chances at USC.
I don't know much about NYU.
havard seems almost impossible but luck can bring dreams come true.
columbia and Upenn,UCB are competetive for you just you have to show that your english is good and you have nice ecs.
I thing your writting tells a bit but you should have taken toefl.I bit easy exam for english.

And no way you are going to attend community college.

By Anger (Anger) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

Hulala,
I am in Indian too in the same boat as you are!
I got 80% agg in Sathyabama Engg College...which is in Chennai!Its well known in Chennai....but of course cant be as good as an NIT!
Did you have your credits evaluated by WES.What was your GPA?Mine was 3.96 with 32 credits!
I have applied to
The Univ OF Texas at Austin
Rutgers
Dartmouth
Columbia
Rose Hulman

Will apply futhermore to
Georgia Tech
New jersey Inst Tech
Stevens Tech

and to colleges in the UK!

You should consider applying to
Georgia Tech
Rose Hulman
Purdue(If there is space left)

I stress on Georgia Tech because they wont evaluate you on your SAT but on your WES report!
Which branch of engg are you considering?

Your Verbal score is indeed very low!But your Math score is very good and most colleges would be more than pleased to have you.A good TOEFL might just make up for your Verbal!

One thing beats me is why would you want to transfer out of an NIT?Finish your UG and go for PG instead!Unless you are dissatisfied with your college!

By Anger (Anger) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

In fact why dont you e mail me!
we can share ideas!

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

great...now you are talking your own stuff in other people's topic...not to be rude...but
MR. ANGER.....if you want to share information with someone else...please do so...but please...not in my topics.......i am seeking opinions for myself not yours.

sorry to be rude...but this is for me not you.

By Anger (Anger) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

well the guy posted his stats here...and since that didnt seem a problem....!
oh well yeah you're right!sorry man for any trouble caused!
all da best for your applications!

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

hi...i am sorry man...i have been a little bit rude..but well..again....you can create a another topic and i will join your discussions and give you some advices..

gool luck

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit

more

By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

more...please...i really need help

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

changrobert

I would suggest taking the TOEFL and not worrying about the verbal section in the SAT. It seems clear that from your writing here alone, that it is not words or memorization that you need, it's clear understanding of the usage of english itself. because it is not your native language, you obviously won't have the skills that are expected of americans.

what you need is more time to be immersed in an anglophone culture, but obviously, you don't have that. and so, taking the TOEFL and writing an explanation would be, in my opinion, the best choice.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page