Merit Based Scholarships

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Merit Based Scholarships
By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

My parents don't qualify for financial aid. What schools with a strong program in either English or Journalism give non-need based aid. I got a 224 on the PSAT, so I'll be a national merit semi-finalist at least, 3.8 UW GPA, (about 4.1 W), all the hardest classes, from private school in NJ...I've entered a few writing related scholarship contests and hope I get at least a little money for those.

Did anyone here recieve non-need based fin. aid?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Congrats on your high score!

University of Florida, I think, has an excellent j school and gives major aid to National Merit Scholars.

U of Minnesota-Twin Cities has an excellent J school, too, and has some very nice journalism scholarships.

Also check other state journalism programs to see what kind of merit aid they have. I don't know what merit aid they have, but the following are excellent J schools: U of Missouri-Columbia (widely regarded as being in the top 3 programsin the country), Berkley, San Francisco state, U of Maryland, Mich. State, Arizona State and U Arizona (I think that both Arizona schools also may offer scholarships to national merit scholars).

When it comes to private universities, I think Boston University has some excellent scholarships for journalism students, but I don't know if those scholarships would offset BU's high costs. It also has an excellent J school.

Getting published in professional papers and getting journalism awards will boost your merit-aid chances in this field.

Good luck!

By Garland (Garland) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

Several years ago, BU offered my D (NMSF) a half-tuition scholarship, so yes, I think that could make a difference.

If you do well enough on SATs, you can go to TCNJ or Rutgers for free.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

I would really like to go to a school with a strong journalism program, and unfortunately Rutgers is really only known for problems in the sciences.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page