Chances for Regular Admission?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances for Regular Admission?
By Loki54 (Loki54) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:48 am: Edit

Ok here is the deal. Applied to Caltech and MIT for early action. Got held for consideration in regular actions from both schools.

Here is what I have

3.92GPA
Rank 6/314
SAT I 710 Math 660 Verbal
SAT I 800 Math 730 Verbal
SAT II Math IIc 760
SAT II Physics 790
SAT II Writing 710
6 AP tests with about half 4's and half 5's.

Some really pathetic essays that I wrote in about 45 min and turned in about 10 min before the deadline.

So do I have a prayer in getting into either of these schools in regular action and if so, what can I do to improve my chances?

Also if these schools donít pan out can you recommend any other technical schools or schools with very high ranked technical programs that are still accepting applications other than Georgia Tech?

By Kissy (Kissy) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:28 am: Edit

Harvey-Mudd's app deadline is 1/15. For rolling admissions, try: UMich, Rose-Hulman, Purdue, UIUC. As far as your chances go at CT and MIT, it's hard to say without knowing about your ECs and if your essays are as poor as you say, that certainly won't help you. Several of the schools I've listed don't have any essay requirements on their apps. Good luck to you.

By Coffeejunkie214 (Coffeejunkie214) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

I'm sorry to say this but your SATII Math 2c scores may really hurt you. A 760 is good but since you're trying to get into schools that have a huge emphasis on math and science, your score may hurt you. Poor essays won't do you any good either if they give off the impression you didn't care enough about the school to really work on the essays. So now it all depends on your ECs. I went to an informational meeting at MIT and they really want to know what you do in your "spare time" because generally everyone has the same sort of stats. Good luck.

By Loki54 (Loki54) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:04 am: Edit

EC's Were

4 year football, 3 year varsity, team captain, Most Dedicated Player Award

A+ Certified Computer Technician (Hopefully Net+ Certified in about a week).

National Spanish Honors Society

Math Club (helped found)

National Merit Commended

JETS TEAMS 2002 competion, Best in State in Division 7 and 6th overall in Nation in Division 7 (Divisions are based on school size, Division 7 had over 75 schools)

Perform Computer Administrative duties for school district with over 1200 computers.

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:19 am: Edit

Purdue and UIUC donot consider SAT II scores

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page