Do ya think I can get into Princeton or MIT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Do ya think I can get into Princeton or MIT?
By tr on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Hi, I just got my sat back and its 700v 760m, very disappointing. I have 750mIC (plan to take II c later), 780 Chem, 770 Writing. I am 1st in my class of 361 and have some ec's.
Piano for 8 yrs
Math Club, Key Club, Science Club, NHS, President of Robotics Club, Academic Team, Chemistry Team (2 yrs), Environment Team (envirothon competition) 2yrs, 150 Service Hours, Summer Work Experience, Internship at a Genetics Research Lab for 1 summer, and the Most Outstanding Student award for virtually every class i've taken (all honors and aps). 5 apush, 5 chemistry, 3 (grrrr...) english lang and comp. I have a feeling myt teacher recs are really good, and I have one coming for my uncle who's a leading Senior Research Geneticist and runs 2 facilities. I placed 3rd place at the City Science Fair for Senior Engineering (my intended major), and Recreational Soccer for 1 yr (i gave up to focus on school, but maybe I shouldn't have)
Some things I was wondering: Should I take the SAT again if I am confident I can score above a 1550 instead of the Math II c this january? Will this make me or break me? Should I send in a piano sample? I was thinking about joining the track team due to an unexpected surplus of time... would this help me, or be a pathetic attempt at assuming an athletic faccade? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length...

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

If you're absolutely confident you can score 1550+, you should probably go with the SAT.

By DANAN on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

YOU HAVE GREAT POSSIBILITIES TO GET IN... I HAD 1270 SAT I AND STILL I WAS ACCEPTED UNDER THE EARLY ACTION PROGRAM TO MIT... GOOD LUCK!! YOU SHOULD TRY TO TAKE II C THOUGH...

By ND on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Congrats, DANAN!

Do you mind telling us a bit more about your stats/ECs to give us an idea of what they expect? Thanks a lot!

By DANAN on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

well i think that the main reason MIT accepted me was because I am a minority. I am Puerto Rican... My stats/ecare not outstanding, but I think they were good enough... satverbal 580 satmath 690... sat11c 780... sat ii chem = 750 and sat11 physics = 720... I am president of the Chemistry club and I have won every single chemistry competition in Puerto Rico sinceI was in my junior year... I am in the student council, honor society (treasurer), french club (treasurer and founder), school newspaper, drama club,and math club... I rank 1/210 and Iwas elected as the mostoutstanding student of every single year... I have thehardest curricula at my school... Summer 2001 = europe... summer 2002 mites at mit...I also got into harvard

By anonymous on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

congratulations, did the schools that accepted you give you good financial aid?

By tr on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I didnt' mention that I have already taken the SAT 6 times, ridiculous huh? I have a super tough time coping with test anxiety and have tried everything. My point is, even though I have repeatedly gotten 1600s on practice exams, should I risk getting the same score on a 7th administration?

By Icex1 (Icex1) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

MIT and Princeton are always crapshoots but at a school like MIT, it is pretty much a requirement to take IIc. If I were you and MIT was my top choice, I'd take IIc, if Princeton, take SAT I's.

By your local mayor on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

i'd give my left testicle to attend MIT. jk

By Sonicbill1 (Sonicbill1) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

You dolts! It's obviously a scam message. Who the hell takes the SAT 6 times? And since when can you have a recommendation letter from a relative?

By tr on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

whatever you think sonicbill, i wouldn't waste time posting a question on a forum so you could question its credibility. and what is wrong with having a recommendation from a relative? What if my guidance cousellor was also my parent?

By tr on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

"That person may be, for instance, a brother or sister, a parent, a coach, a music instructor, an employer, or a friend. You may choose whomever you wish."
Right off the application, in case you wanted to know.

By df on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Sonicbill- I took the SAT 4 times so far and might take another. And I know a person who got into Columbia who used a relative for a rec. Such a situation is not unbelievable or even uncommon for that matter. Don't point fingers.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page