Advice on AP Chem

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Advice on AP Chem
By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

I'm going to be a junior next year, and currently I'm taking Honors Chemistry. I took Honors Biology in 9th grade, took the SAT II, and did well. For the chem II, I was thinking of taking AP chemistry as a junior and then taking the SAT II after completing that course. The other competing option is studying for the SAT II this year, taking it, and if after finishing the test I thought i did very well, let it be scored - if not, cancel. I know that's easier said that done, but I'm usually really critical about tests so i take into account stupid mistakes or scanning errors, and potentially incorrect questions. If i didn't do as well as i thought i did, i'd take AP chem and take the sat II for a 2nd time. Which plan do you guys advise me to try out? thanks

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

Honors chem is enough. AP Chem really isn't different save for the complexity of the problems, i.e. no new topics really (at least at my school).

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

I also took honors chem first but I suggest doing AP your junior year-that's what I did. If your school doesn't offer a lot of APs then you should try to take advantage of this opportunity.

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Vsage or any others - what do you suggest to take in terms of scoring well on the Chemistry SAT II?

By Sarahndipity (Sarahndipity) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I took Honors Chem my sophomore year, loved it and took AP Chem the following year. Scored a 5, took the SAT II Chem this fall (after a whole summer of no-chem) and made a 740. My Chem teacher said that most ap chem students after taking a whole year of ap chem average a 690, even if they make a 5 on the ap chem test. My advice: take ap chem before you take the SAT II. The formats are VERY similar, and since the AP Chem multiple choice section is non-calculator, it will get you ready for the SAT II. Anyway, AP Chem is a super fun course--definitely my favorite. :)

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

I took Honors Chem as a sophomore last year and got 790 on the SAT II. I'm taking AP Chem this year and I am doing horrible, but that's partially due to the teacher and his tests, which are nothing like AP/SAT style questions. Taking Honors Chem should be enough to get high 700s on the SAT but taking AP Chem will give you a much better chance of getting 800. After you take AP Chem, the SAT will seem a lot easier.

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 07:49 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice. However, what do you guys think about me taking the SAT II at the end of this year after honors chem, and if i feel that i did bad cancel it, if not, let it be scored? If it turns out undesirable, i'll take ap chem and take teh sat2 for a second time. Which option do you suggest?

By Sarahndipity (Sarahndipity) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

I'd not take it at the end of this year... it's almost certain that you will make a better score after ap chem so don't waste money/time/an SAT II test slot taking it at the end of this year. I must admit though, I'm very biased because I had an incredible teacher for honors and ap chem. You may want to consult with your teacher and other students from your school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page