University of chicago: am i dreaming

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: University of chicago: am i dreaming
By Chicagohopeful (Chicagohopeful) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

do i stand a chance at the university of chicago? i'm a sophomore at a really hard boarding prep school.

B average (upper third class rank)
SATs predicted to be around 96th percentile (whatever that is)

EXTRACURRICULARS

********COMMUNITY SERVICE (expressing strong concern for URBAN ISSUES)******

-president and founder of community's youth ministry group...it's a support network for kids who go to my parish, and we perform community service in the inner-city as a group.

-school ambassador to a scholarship program/student director for minority student recruitment (i help with placing disadvantaged minority kids into leading boarding/prep schools across the nation, not just my school). currently, i recruit kids from boston and chicago...i will also start recruiting from metropolises like nyc and los angeles...plan to recruit around 800 kids by senior year.

-i volunteer 10 hours a week (tutoring/mentoring disadvantaged youth). i develop lesson plans, plan activities for the kids and so forth.

*******ECs related to my interest in URBAN HISTORY/URBAN ISSUES*******

- HISTORY CLUB (i'm just a member but i've done more work than anyone in the club). i promoted interest in national history day and the concord review, nationwide academic contests which promote the study of history. i'm coordinating my school's very own HISTORY WEEK as a campaign to promote historical literacy....made the school club a chapter of the national history club

-work with a senator and his colleague who is an expert in urban planning...

-work with a boston university professor on a major urban history research project....have researched CHICAGO HISTORY for the past 4 years, qualified for nationals 3 times (got a mix of superior/excellent marks)...will have completed a total of 7 years of research by senior year...aspiring for at least a 14th place standing at nationals...have interviewed respected college professors, historians, primary source people...have completed research at university libraries, archives, manuscript collections, et al.

-submitting an entry to the concord review...aspiring for the emerson prize

MINOR ECs
-section editor for the asian magazine...will hopefully become editor-in-chief by senior year
-violin (not star quality)
-debate team (aspiring for nationals)

OTHER info
-starting summer job summer after sophomore year and continuing on subsequent summers, that is a job to support my family not to earn money for myself
-non-native english speaker (been speaking english for 5 years now)
-pacific islander immigrant to the US

By Chicagohopeful (Chicagohopeful) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

it's really quiet in here

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

you gave almost no stats, how can we evaluate you?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page