Rate Me! -- future Music Ed major

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Rate Me! -- future Music Ed major
By Blinkeve1826 (Blinkeve1826) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Alright, I'm a junior, I want to study Music Ed (and possibly minor in theatre arts or theatre ed) and colleges I'm considering are NYU (Steinhardt), Penn State (University Park), Boston University, and Suny Potsdam (Crane). NYU is my first choice. What do you think?

Acamdemics:

GPA: About a 90 (Unweighted APs and IBs). I tend to do much better in music, language and arts classes, and worse in math and history. Not terrible, I'd say mid 80's, but not great, either.
AP's\IB's, and averages so far, unweighted: IB English, 92; AP\IB US, 81; AP Spanish, 92; IB Theatre, 92.
PSAT: Verbal - 57; Math - 67, Writing - 74
Index 198, 95th Percentile
SAT II's, which I'm probably retaking: Verbal - 610; Math IC - 690, Writing - 750.

EC's:

Since 9th grade: GSA, Comedy Troupe (writing and performance comedy group), NYSSMA (I don't know how much NYSSMA is looked at, if only at the schools in NY, if it's looked at at all, but my scores with voice were 24\28 Level IV 9th grade, 96\100 Level VI 10th grade)

Since 10th grade: Book Club, Peer Mediation, Buddy Program, ITS (International Thespian Society, 10th Grade Rep), Starting this year I was also one of the two student representatives on the district's Human Development Committee.

Since 11th Grade: Spanish Honor Society, Tri-M, Leadership Group, Chamber Choir, Caroling Choir, President of both the Book Club and Comedy Troupe. In a few weeks I'm having a workshop at a local library for beginning actors in grades 6-9 (although that they have changed to 6-12, but that's besides the point). It's a pretty big deal, it's in local newspapers and stuff, but I don't know how big of a deal it would be to colleges.

There are other various things that I did for a year and decided I didn't like, like the art and literary magazine, Hebrew Culture Club (which I liked, but it disbanded), Students Against Drug Abuse, a Spanish poetry contest which I may actually do again this year, etc. Also, for the past three summers I've been going to a creative and performing arts camp (USDAN), and someone said I should put that down too. What do you think? Would it help?

I got a Who's Who Among American High School Students award or something, it said it was for the top 5% of students in the nation...what do you guys know about this? Is it as good as it sounds, and is it impressive, or is it something that a lot of people receive?

Another thing about the EC's...I don't know if it looks like it, but I'm not resume padding with them...I genuinely enjoy these things, and as you can see from how long I've been doing most of them, I'm pretty committed to them.

Community Service: Breast Cancer Walk since 10th grade, about 30 or so hours at a local nursing home, volunteering at a local festival twice a year for four hours each (I've been doing this since I was six), community theatre for, like, forever, I don't even remember when I started.

Assuming I get a pretty good SAT score (1300+), my grades stay pretty much as they are now (I'm working on improving them though...), and I keep up my EC's (I'm running for and have a good shot at president of GSA and VP of ITS next year), what do you think? Please tell me what you think, and (specifically) what you think I should improve. Thanks a lot!

~~Melanie

By the way, if one of the acronyms or anything else is unclear, just post that it is and I'll explain what it means.

By Blinkeve1826 (Blinkeve1826) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

bump

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

um, are you majoring in an instrument?
maybe you should post awards for music too

By Blinkeve1826 (Blinkeve1826) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I'm trying out for All-State this year, but as of now I don't have any awards for music. I'll be majoring in voice.

By Blinkeve1826 (Blinkeve1826) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

bump dammit

By Blinkeve1826 (Blinkeve1826) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

bump

...please?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page