Rate my chances to get into Ivy League Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Rate my chances to get into Ivy League Schools
By Number13islucky (Number13islucky) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Hey. I'm a freshman at an IB school.

Stats:

PSAT (freshman year): 72 verbal, 71 math, 80 writing, 223 composite

Grades
A+ average (97+)

Class ranking: top 5 at the least out of 100+ freshman, but I don't study

Extracurricular:
piano, french club, math team (always cipher)

There's probably one extracurricular I'm neglecting to mention, but oh well.

What are my chances of going to Yale, MIT, or Harvard? My dad went to Yale and passed with distinction in many of his classes (in the 70s, they didn't give a numerical grade or GPA).

By Number13islucky (Number13islucky) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

BTW, I mean going at the normal time after I graduate high school.

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

I'm going to be blunt- you're a freshman, too early to even be thinking about that or for anyone to evaluate you. You've been in high school for 6 months, colleges don't usually even look at your freshman year. Study hard for the next 3 years, but I can tell you now that no one can evaluate you.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Penn - that is not true. Number13 is laying the foundation of her high school career. Number needs to know that she can't rely on being a legacy to get her in at Yale - who knows how it will be in 3 years. Obviously Number is bright just from the scores of her freshman PSAT but Number needs to think of an EC that she can do well and be distinctive. We have seen from the Yale/Harvard deferral rates this year numbers aren't everything.
Keep up the good work Number - make a name for yourself and never take anything for granted.

By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

You look like your off to a great start. Try to find an extracurricular activity that will make you stand out. A varsity sport perhaps? You might also want to think about a summer job. Working at a place like Mcdonalds is fun, and will really help your application.

By Number13islucky (Number13islucky) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Thanks for the replies. I've played soccer up until about half a year ago, but I'm going to resume play as a Sophmore. Btw, male, not female, but thanks for the words of advice.

By Susu (Susu) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Suggestion: read books like "A is for Admission" and "The Gatekeepers" to get an insight into Ivy admissions. You're what they call a BWRWK (Basic Well Rounded White Kid)--a deny or at best defer at this point. Keep up the good academic work, and take advantage of the fact that you don't have to study to do something really interesting/outstanding for an EC (NOT soccer, unless you're a star). Pick ONE thing, no matter how weird, and do it VERY well for the next 3 years--fencing, squash, short films, ACLU work, earthquake readiness--but something that makes you different from all the other BWRWKs. Also--think twice about Ivies. You might have more fun graduating top of your class at U of Arizona, then going to Yale Law school, than graduating #100 at Yale and than going to Arizona for law school.

By Number13islucky (Number13islucky) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Thanks. I'll read them if possible. I'm going to take up something unusual too if that's what it takes. About my scores too...they're very high for a freshman 2 months into high school, but I was still sort of disappointed in them. I could easily get a 240 without all the careless errors I made. I didn't skip any--there wasn't a problem I couldn't do. For example, nearly all the problems I missed were just medium level. I had the right answers on my test book for half the missed problems, but something must've gotten swapped when I bubbled them. Next time I take the PSAT or any standardized test, I plan to (a) write down my work (I didn't write down any of my work--I did it all in my head, except when I eliminated answers by crossing them out), and (b) not take as long to bubble in the answers. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, unfortunately, and this usually presents itself in my meticulous bubbling, which can often take longer than I solve the problem in my head in. Next time, I may also take a practice test. Etc etc etc. I plan to take the SAT on the next testing date that presents itself....IMHO the SAT is easier than the PSAT, based on what I've heard, and what I experienced through TIP.

My logic is that if I get perfect scores on junior level tests in my freshman year and colleges see them, I might have a better shot at the Ivies. My school sends out test results above the 90th percentile to colleges, and I'm going to take advantage of that. Also, I'm not too worried about rankings. Maybe I'm sheltered, but I've never met a smarter kid than me as far as I know. I've been in gifted programs, selective private schools, and the like (bored to death through them all). I realize that there are people smarter than me in the world, but there aren't many. Heck, I beat at least 9 out of 10 people at my IB school, including seniors, and we have supposedly really bright kids here. I am almost positive that I will be ranked high if I get into Yale. So I'm not worried about being a statistic in the sense of being slightly above average at an Ivy or anything.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

You're off to a really good start...It's good that you're ambitious and are planning ahead.

One thing that I would recommend is to be open-minded. When I was a freshman I was totally obsessed with Harvard; I would have done anything to go,etc. However, as I researched I found other schools that offered the programs I wanted (Harvard didn't even offer the program I wanted) and other things that I liked/interested me. Don't base your college decisions on prestige rather base them on how well you match the school. From what it looks you you are looking at the most prestigious schools...which is good but don't close yourself up to other options.

Also visit the campus, see if you like the city, check out the social life. Basically check if the school is for you.

By Number13islucky (Number13islucky) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not too worried about locale - even though I live in Alabama, my parents grew up in New Jersey. I went to New England a couple of summers ago, and I love the area. I'm pretty open-minded about most stuff, and from what I've heard and seen, Yale sounds like it's a good match. I may also go to MIT afterwards for graduate work or something.

By Insntynonchalan (Insntynonchalan) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Listen, kid...I am really awesomely glad you are aiming high. That is definately the way to go. But raise your missles just a little bit higher, because i'm sensing a bit of an ego. Let me tell you the truth. The people who want to go to Yale are all kids like you. What is going to put you above the next kid who was number 1 at his school? There ARE a lot of those. And you're off to a great start. But you need something else, something really really awesome and big that sets you completely apart from someone else, so that when colleges look at your application they say "wow..this kid is cool, we want him." I am not being critical at all. You sound really smart. And IB is a great program. Just make sure to throw a few AP's in there. Im from NC and I had a lot of friends in the IB program, and I knew this one guy who got an IB Diploma and an AP Diploma in many courses, worked his ass off, and he ended up going to Chapel Hill, Not Ivy League. So get something in there. You're smart, so I'm sure it will work out for the greatest. Best of luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page