Who is doing all the talking here? (your opinion)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Who is doing all the talking here? (your opinion)
By Slim on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Iím curious. The posts on this site probably represent what a lot of kids who are applying to college are thinking about right now. That being said, the people who visit this site probably arenít representative of the entire range of students applying to selective colleges and universities. To the best of your reckoning, what would you guess the demographic of this site is? Upper-middle class only? White male? African American? New Jersey and New York primarily? Iím interested because its not actually clear who is represented here and who isnít.

By Carrro (Carrro) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 01:00 pm: Edit

If you read the; post desicion and stats conversation you can see where people have applied and been accepted. It's alot of east coast, highly ranked and Ivies. I'd guess most people here are serious east coast students, but there's also some midwest and Californian people. I myself am Swedish, I think there are a few of us internationals here too. This is a really helpful site for us having no guidance councellors, parents or friends who know (or care) a thing about college in the US.

By Sonicbill1 (Sonicbill1) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

The majority of students on these sites are neurotic overachievers. You know, the kind who say they fail every exam, yet manage to walk away with a 100 every time? These boards are nothing less than a way for some boring book worm to brag about how they got a 1500+ on the SAT.

Why is it that I don't see some bright, but not brilliant, student on these sites bragging about their stats and activities? I know why. They don't second guess themselves. They know they are not at the top, but they also know they aren't at the bottom of the academic pool. If you people are as intelligent as you claim, then why doesn't one single person on here have any self-confidence? If you knew you were that good for the Ivy League schools, why second guess yourselves?

None of us on here are admissions officers. So asking a bunch of people, who have no idea how the admissions process works at each school, if you will get admitted or not is simply foolish.

All you can do is apply. If they reject you, they reject you. It happens to all of us. Life goes on.

By Tim (Tim) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

I just love when people post to a message board complaining about the people who post to that message board. It's hilariously ironic.

Tim

By Francesca on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

I agree Tim!
Fran

By nyugrl on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Sonic, you're so right...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page