Which UCs will accept me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Which UCs will accept me?
By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Hey! I just got my writing SAT II score back today, and I'm wondering which UCs will probably accept me. If you could help me, that would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance! I applied to Berkeley, Davis, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and San Diego. Do you think I can get into Berkeley? :-D I am a white FEMALE. I'm from CALIFORNIA!!!

Stats:

SAT I: 700 M, 650 V (second time); 640 M, 700 V (first time)

SAT II: French 800, Math IIC 760, Chemistry 750, Writing 720

GPA: ~4.5

Community college denoted by an asterisk *.

Senior schedule (I'll just list them all off....a confusing conglomeration of quarter and semester):

Multivariable/Vector Calculus*
Organic Chemistry 12A/12B*
Philosophy*
Stellar Astronomy*
Solar Astronomy*
Differential Equations*
French Immersion Weekend*
American Government
Economics
World Literature

Work experience:
Instructional Assistant: Chemistry Department*
Instructional Assistant: Mathematics Department*
Tutor (chemistry, French, mathematics, human anatomy)*
Collaborated on French workbook with French department chair, name on book *

Awards:
4th place, Concours National de Français, Catégorie A (university level, national competition)
Most Outstanding Foreign Language Student of Santa Clara County, 2001, community college level

If you could help me in any way, I'd be very grateful!!!

Thanks!!!
~Anna

By Dstark (Dstark) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

4.5 on a 4.0 scale? In at all.

By Anynameyoulike (Anynameyoulike) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Damn dude, in at all. No question. Good for you. not that I'm an authority or anything. You should apply to better schools too.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

haha...its so funny when people like Dstark try to act smart and make a complete fool of themselves

anyways, u have a great shot at all of them

By Eaglescout (Eaglescout) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

you're in the Berk.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Your Sat I scores are a bit low. And your SAT II scores are mediocre (with the exception of French). For the Ivy League/MIT/Caltech/Stanford you probably have a slim chance but for the UCs you are definitely in at all of them. The average score at Berkeley is 1280 or something, so you are on par with that. Your GPA is good so you'll have no problem getting in.

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

I wanted to be an MIT applicant.....but it's a tricky financial aid situation with any of the private schools. Plus I have to earn half the money...~$20K/year while attending MIT is not my idea of a good time, nor is it anybody's I think. So I decided to settle for Berkeley. :-) And I'm quite happy with it, really!
:-D

The GPA is something like 4.47, I believe.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!! :-D I'm so happy now!

~Anna

By Iamhung (Iamhung) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

No doubt about it, in at all. SAT I scores aren't too low; you beat the average of all the schools by at least 50 pts. SAT IIs mediocre? Nah, well above all the kids I know who got into Davis and some other UCs. You should have appled to some reaches like Stanford just for the hell of it!

By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Damn lol you are going to be like a freaking junior your first year what with all those college courses you took.. you are in. In like platform shoes in the 70's :D

By Kluge (Kluge) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Your chances at Berkeley are very good, but nothing is guaranteed. In 2002 Berkeley rejected 2/3 of the applicants with SAT1's between 1300-1400, but the average gpa of those rejected was just 3.88 (Berkeley rejects 95% of the applicants with less than a 4.0 gpa) and the average SAT2 score for those not accepted with 13-1400 SAT1's was 670, so you match up better on those points than on the SAT1. And everything else looks great. But remember, there will be hundreds of applicants with scores and apps very similar to yours who won't be accepted at UCB, as well as hundreds who will. Keep your mind (and your options) open. You will be accepted at most of the UC's you applied to, and you'll do great wherever you go to college.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Well I think being In State helps out alot....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page