Do I have a realistic shot at GA Tech

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Do I have a realistic shot at GA Tech
By Unknownfate (Unknownfate) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

so, I severely messed up in hs. I have a sub 3.0 GPA, and my courseload isn't very good 6 APs, 6 Honors...but yeah, it's demanding not very or most demanding but demanding.

I am from GA. I have 5 800s on SAT 2, a 36, and a 1530.

My only ECs: lit. mag. volunteer work and a summer research project(which was only submitted to science fairs--I wasn't originially going to submit it to anything, but my science teacher gives extra credit for sci fair).

By Slayer (Slayer) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

are you a male or female? your scores are outstanding and a 36 is the equivalent of a 1600. if you write a good essay and get some good recomendations then my guess is you're in.

good luck! :)

By Unknownfate (Unknownfate) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

I'm a girl =)

thanks a lot!

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Word of caution, while your SAT & ACT is terrific, your GPA is very low.... That is a problem.

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

oh my, a GIRL going to GA tech. From what I hear, the 80/20 ratio (guys/girls) gives girl applicants a better shot if their stats are competitive, and your test scores are very impressive. Try to get some good recs though, a sub-3.0 gpa and high test scores lead colleges to believe that you are lazy

just be prepaired to meet a ton of guys willing to do anything to have a girlfriend ;-)

By Unknownfate (Unknownfate) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

yeah,

I'm really not lazy...my problem was more apathy not pure sloth. I hated high school; absolutely hated it...it was awful. I wasn't sexually harassed and I didn't have family problems or anything. I just flat out-hated it. I know high school and college are really differently academically, and that should work in my favor.

I probably should have submitted my research project to Siemens Westinghouse, being as how the Southern Regional Competition takes place.

I am really dedicated to science...I spent about 700 hours on my research project. To be perfectly honest, I never really knew about serious lab research prior to it.

But I'll do my best to get strong rec's.

Thanks =)

By Unknownfate (Unknownfate) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

oh yeah...it's important to note, I am from GA and I do live within 75 miles of GA Tech, and I do know a few profs REALLY WELL.

By Infinity (Infinity) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Hi I am a junior and looking to see if anyone can help me out(GA tech was one of the schools i have loked at thus far). The following is my specs as of now and I would greatly appreciate any input:
PSAT:72M,58V,58V
SAT I:740M,650V=>1390 comb
Courses:
AP Chem
PreAP calc
the rest all honors
GPA:3.5 uw, 3.9 weighted
our school has no rank, NJ

Sports:
-2 year Varsity Tennis, will continue playing all four years
-3 year Marching Band

EC:
-JSA member (debate club)
-Technology Studen Association member
-All years top concert music group, all years Jazz Band. (these are not including marching band)
-200+ volunteering hours at Princeton Medical Center
-plan to go to India and do volunteer work
-plan to take SAT I again and 3 SAT IIs
Awards-won an essay contest
Just wondering what my numbers in the remaining SATs should look like and if a 4 on AP chem is good enough for:
Reach: Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia Fu College
Middle:Michigan ann arbor, WashU, Georgia Tech
Safety: Rutgers, Missouri Rolla, Clemson,
Plz post any information that can help me to set attainable goals.

By Dohinc (Dohinc) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

wash u and maybe umich are reaches for you.. get more matches.. let me suggest UIUC and case western

By Infinity (Infinity) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

thanks Dohinc, i was just wondering wat could i do to make umich and washU mroe comfortable? That SAT score is just a median of my attepmts at the 10 Reals. I once got a 1460, so would a SAT score above 1400 make my chances any diferent from wat i had posted previously?

By Dstark (Dstark) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Infinity, have you taken a rigorous course load and exceeded the the course requirements? If you have, Michigan is a match, more than a 50/50 chance. Apply early. Be ready to go by the end of Sept or early Oct. As for Wash U, that is a harder school to get in. They don't accept as many people. They accept around 23% regular decision. I can't remember but it is 33 to 43 % early. You have a chance.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I dk. GT's application process is messed up this year. They actually CLAIMED to me over the phone they didn't know how a few kids got admitted already even though they have no EA/ED which doesn't give results until late jan/feb for those who applied for the scholarship. BTW the ones from my school who got in already didn't qualify for the scholarship, which is more interesting. I don't know, I had my heart set on GT and there's no doubt I could get in but I feel disheartened by the fact that after repeated attempts to sort this whole thing out through the admissions office, I have been politely disregarded with letters that address nothing but their official stances. My guidance counselor even called and asked why kids that were "lower" than me were getting admitted and not me, and they didn't really want to comment but they seemed to imply there was a larger than usual amount of apps. I'm not one to appreciate GT's treatment of me, however. Anyway, Unknownfate, you are in better standing than you think. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got in. Hope to see you there next year :). Ah, and to address Infinity the thread-topic-usurper, your chances are OK but out of state is much more competetive than in-state (only about 40% of GT's population is out-of-state). Sample stats of someone who got in to GT already c/o '08 out of state: 1400 sat I, 3.4/4.0 GPA, tons of awards in 3d graphics design (a few international) and part the team that puts together the nations #1 student-run news program (I am sure he played this up), nothing else to speak of though. He isn't a good writer so I don't think his essays were superior, and he's very quiet so his rec's weren't stellar.

By Infinity (Infinity) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

I would not say rigorous, but challenging. My courses are listed above and I plan to take 2 more APs next year. I have also applied to summer courses at nearby universities( Columbia, Cornell and CMU). Thats seems to add some difficult courses to my list. Its true that I do not take all APs (which does not make much sense to me), but I feel I am much more well-rounded in terms of athletics, academics and other talent than other students who take all APs.In fact I cannot name a student in my class who is in all honors/APs and concurrently is active in ECs. I do wonder if taking AP english or history would really make much of a difference.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page