International getting into MIT/Caltech/Stanford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: International getting into MIT/Caltech/Stanford
By The_Aussie (The_Aussie) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:18 am: Edit

Just what sorts of stuff do you need to do? (I'm from Australia but my parents are from Hong Kong)

I am just about to start my final year of high school, I have an A average (usually A+ for maths)

For my final year of school, I am doing advanced maths, physics, chem, latin, eng

I did poorly in the SAT1 (1360 700 verbal 660 math i didn't send these in) I believe I can and will try from something around 1500
I haven't done SATIIs yet

I am in interschool hockey and tennis team and a pile of extra curricular activities (but then thats decieving as unlike in the US everyone at my school is in an interschool sports team of some calibre and quite a few extra curricular activities are compulsory)

I know I am shooting for the stars, as from what I have read anything less than being the best in the nation is probably not enough (I probably won't make that)

Can I at least try my best and hope? Or should I just quit wasting time and my parents money?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:42 am: Edit

"I have read anything less than being the best in the nation is probably not enough."

I don't disagree with this statement, but the 'best' is a very subjective term.

I'd say for an international Asian (if you are one) to stand a chance, you would need at least
1450+ SAT
760+ average SAT2s
Top 5% in class
plus the ECs, recs and essays.

I think it wouldn't hurt to try. If you don't get in, too bad. But if you do... then that would be something wouldn't it?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

MIT is out. hands down. sorry. Although my opinion isn't reliable, that's how I feel.

By Upandover (Upandover) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

Hei, foreignboy. The other Malaysian who applied EA to Harvard is Daniel Fong from SMDJ, he's doing A Levels in UK. It's like national news here =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page