ASB and Rejection-- weird correlation???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: ASB and Rejection-- weird correlation???
By Stonecold316 (Stonecold316) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

are you on ASB, and did you get into the school that you wanted to?

there's been this weird trend in my school where many of the people who didn't get into their ED schools are on ASB and the people whom many people have never heard of DID get in.

in fact... of the 34 ED notices that i know of, only 13 of them are acceptances, and NONE of these people are on ASB, and of the 21 rejections/defers, half of them are on ASB. maybe it's just a coincidence, but i don't know...

i wonder if there's a correlation... that if colleges view ASB people as conformists who try to be what everyone else wants them to be.... or just people who just try to pad their transcripts...

hmm... what do you guys think?

By Metz (Metz) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

What's ASB?

By Stonecold316 (Stonecold316) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

associated student body... you know, student council, i guess

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

What did they do besides ASB?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

What a lot of students don't realize is that holding a title -- even student government president-- won't guaranatee admission.

When colleges say they are looking for "leadership," they are looking for people who take action to do things. Many students have titles that are simply resume decoration. Many official student leadership positions in h.s. are really shams. Either the organizations do not do much or the advisor is doing all of the work.

There also are hundreds of thousands of applicants who have positions in student organizations. The ones who stand out also document their contribution to the organization or their recommendation letters document these things.

Keep in mind, too, that the students who don't have official leadership positions in school may be doing major leadership things outside of school. For instance, a student who raises hundreds of dollars after getting lots of sponosr while participating in a charity run would be demonstrating major leadership. A student who is doing a summer job as a camp counselor also would be demonstrating leadership.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

I'm not on an adcom but ASB types would hate me if I were. As NSM says, titles alone don't mean much. I've seen too much of ASB that is winning a popularity contest and then rearranging the deck chairs with little real accomplishment. It's the accomplishment that I'd be looking for...what did you *do* as ASB president? It had better be more than organizing pep rallies and deciding on the theme for the prom.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

I agree with Thedad. At least at my school, "ASB" is a bunch of crap where people sit around and plan dances and rallies. And also, they're not the smartest people either; not many of them are taking the toughest courseload (actually, none.)

Plus, being "Secretary of Rallies" or something like that is not really impressive to adcoms. People tend to think that "Student Government" is some major advantage in applying to college, when really it's not.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

At my school, ASB is a popularity based group, and the most popular people aren't the smartest most talented people (at least academically... ;-)).

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

Hey Thedad! I take offense at the prom theme head remark! I was put in charge of that at my school although most of my ideas were crushed in favor of more mundane ones. For example, imagine the Bolshevik Revolution prom: the room is covered in red, everyone is wearing very heavy coats, and when we name the prom king and queen we could have deposed them and named the entire senior class the prom comrades. It would have been great. Unfortunately not as many people shared my vision and we were forced to settle for an Evening in Paris (I would have been satisfied if that evening was in 1799. Imagine, we could let everybody eat cake for refreshments and the prom pictures could have been taken with the people sticking their head in a guillotine.) Sorry this has nothing to do with the post but I am still bitter about how my creative vision as prom theme head was stifled by the senior class who had other ideas for how their prom was to be held.

By Stonecold316 (Stonecold316) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 04:37 am: Edit

foreignboy: well, the people on ASB at my school are pretty accomplished people. many of them hold the highest GPA's and SAT scores,and they're also on the cabinets of many school clubs.

i suppose i could name a better example of what i'm trying to describe...

the asb president, who is like, a speech team champion, a football player, and has decent grades, didn't get into U. Chicago. my friend, on the other hand got in. she is on the cabinet of like, a book club at school, and not too many people know who she is. i think she has higher grades and SAT score than the asb pres., but i'm still pretty sure that the asb. pres looks better on paper overall.

i just think that colleges totally prefer liberal, nonconformist types over the "susie high school" types (hahaha i love "10 things i hate about you")

TheDad: at our school, the people on asb work their buns off (or so i've heard... sure seems like they do). i'm sure that the colleges who rejected the asb folk knew that they worked hard since the guidance counselors at school know how hard asb people work, and thus, would've stated so in the counselor's reports.

chasgoose: you know what... whether you're serious or not... those ideas are actually pretty good! i mean, sure, they're not traditional, but heyyyyy... "let them eat cake!" (i learned in history, btw, that when marie antoinette said "cake" she meant the nasty, caked crap at the bottom of old pans... not CAKE.)

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Stonecold,
I think it's important to realize that the Ivies get thousands of applicants from students who have been president of student government and/or a variety of school clubs.

The Ivies don't want to fill up their classes with only people like that. The Ivies like to have a variety of types of people whose passions differ.

Thus, the Ivies will admit some people who passionately pursued student government and similar things. They also will have people whose passions were music, research, creative writing, art, athletics, drama, etc.

A student who did student government/music and writing might be rejected in favor of a student who one, relatively rare activity or who one common activity at an uncommon level. An example might be that a student who did major work for a local politician's campaign -- the type of volunteer work that committed adults might do -- might be selected over thousands of student government presidents.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

LOL! Chasgoose. You know, living in Arizona, you must have a good sense of Yuma.

Stonecold, there is a difference between "working hard" and "accomplishing something."

I know that ASB people put in countless hours. Occasionally, they accomplish something worthwhile. Most of the time, they produce something as meaningful as a bucket of warm spit. This is pretty consistent from what I've seen in a number of schools over a number of decades.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page