Transfer to Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Transfer to Harvard
By Kiwinuts (Kiwinuts) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

What are my chances in transferring to Harvard?
I worked 2 years after HS. Now am a soph at Bing. Univ (NY state school), will be taking my sat IIs and sat Is over again.
So far, college gpa is ~3.71

Are transfer admissions harder than that of freshmen?

By Televelis (Televelis) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Much harder, yes.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

According to Harvard's web site, 55 transfer students were admitted from 1,000 applicants for spaces this school year. Yes, that's much harder than for freshmen, where the odds of being admitted are about 1 in 10.

By Kiwinuts (Kiwinuts) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

What are the student profiles of students who were accepted as transfers to harvard? Anyone know?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Klwinuts,
You could try using a seach engine to see if such info is available.
I doubt, it's available, however. My understanding is that Harvard picks transfer students the same way it picks students off the waiting list: It picks and chooses from its amazingly strong field of applicants in order to fill out gaps in the class composition.

I would imagine that one would have the best chance of getting in as a transfer if one has some unusual characteristic or interest that is in short supply in the class that one is applying to. Of course, having outstanding stats, too, would be a prerequisite, but wouldn't be the determining factor.

By Dreaminfrosh (Dreaminfrosh) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm in the same boat...I'm looking at transferring to an Ivy-league, but the chances seem 1/10..pretty bare..but chosen from an INSANELY brilliant pool of applicants..

I'm a freshman at a community college...trying to fulfill my chances..are you a frosh or a soph?

By Kiwinuts (Kiwinuts) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

dreaminfrosh, im a soph at a state school --binghamton u. what are your stats?

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

yea, i really want to know the stats too. I want to attend harvard but will prolly not make it as a freshman. Will a very good gpa, and strong EC's in college help counteract low sat/act scores?

By Kiwinuts (Kiwinuts) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

nope, harvard kids do everything well --high scores and excellent ecs

By Dreaminfrosh (Dreaminfrosh) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

Asian Indian by origin, been in the US for 3 years, attending a comm. college in CA, current college GPA (after 1st sem.) -- 3.95, re-taking the SAT I and SAT II's

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit

i have heard that when you transfer they only look at your highschool sat i and II scores.

By Dreaminfrosh (Dreaminfrosh) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

"All transfer applicants are required to submit the results of the SAT I: Reasoning Test reported directly from the College Board (our institutional code is #3434). Scores listed on the official high school transcript will be acceptable as official test results as well. As an alternative, students may submit results of the ACT (code #1840). Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to submit the results of three College Board SAT II: Subject Tests. Recently taken SAT and Subject Tests are acceptable; however, standardized test results more than three years old may not represent your ability. College Board tests taken on or before the January testing date and ACT tests taken by February will reach us in time."

The above statement is on the Transfer Admissions website at www.harvard.edu..

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

okay okay great. Maybe i'll do better when i'm in college. dreaminfrosh do you have aim or email. i would really like to talk to you. you seem to know alot about transferring.

By Kiwinuts (Kiwinuts) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

when they mean "ACT test taken by february" do they mean BEFORE feb 7. or that feb. 7 is the last ACT exam?

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

feb 7th is the last test you can take for harvard.

By Dreaminfrosh (Dreaminfrosh) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

hello Hnbui, I have aim. My SN is kremepuff11, and my e-mail ID is aishwaryac@msn.com. Feel free to contact me.

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

are you on aim right now? And what college are you transferring/have transferred into?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page