Is NYU worth it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Is NYU worth it?
By NYUhopeful on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Just curious if you think that the high cost to attend NYU is worth it for the academics, NYC lifestyle, and overall college experience that NYU provides.

By anonymous on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Yes and no. If your going to NYU for the city life, focus in law and business, and slight prestige then I recommend applying there. If your looking for some other majors or cheaper schools with the same prestige then I'd recommend somewhere else.

By NYUhopeful on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

I'm interested in pre-dental studies or broadcast journalism. NYU is strong in these areas, right?

By anonymous on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:43 am: Edit

Yeah, I'd recommend applying for the School of Education. What financial class is your family?

By NYUhopeful on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

My family definitely doesn't have a lot of money, but I'm hoping I can get a good amount of financial aid and scholarships. I really want to go to NYU and I'm almost certain that I'd regret not going there just because of financial reasons (that is if I even get in of course). Do you know if NYU is known for being particularly good or bad with regard to financial aid?

By whatsup on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:33 pm: Edit

BAD. BAD BAD BAD. I'm really sorry, hun, but it's true. They are notorious for their less-than-generous financial aid rewards. The average is 16,000. You have to make up the rest yourself and it really adds up because included in that 16,000 are stafford loans which have to be paid back anyway. However, every case is different, and if you have a lower income, you'll probably get more than the average.

Good luck!

By NYU06 on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:12 am: Edit

Yes, NYU does have bad financial aid. It also depends on what school you apply to within NYU. I go to Tisch and got much less than my friends in other schools because it is a newer school. My family definitely is having torubles with this and I completely agree that it is an absolutely great experience and it was always where I wanted to go. But it also depends on what you're studying. I am studying film and NYU is tied with USC for the top film dept. so this made sense for me. See if it makes sense for you. But I do LOVE NYU!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page