Crappy student trying to get into Hendrix College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Crappy student trying to get into Hendrix College
By Omgninjas (Omgninjas) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Alright, so let me start off with the most important part of this post:

I have a GPA of like 70.

Yes, I do realize it's a massive joke, and there's really no feasible excuse for me to create for it. My senior year was a bit of a kick in the ass, and I kind of realized that I actually had to do something once I got out of college.

I started researching colleges, and I fell in love with Hendrix, for a number of reasons. I was shocked to find out that they accept something like 83% of applicants, but I've read that they often dont get enough qualified applicants, and this has bolstered my hopes.

Here's my other stats:

1390 SAT (770v/620m)
730 writing, 710 Lit, 610 U.S History
URM (AA)
Athlete; I'd be one of the best sprinters on the team: I visited the campus, talked with the coach, and he was really eager to have me on the team, but considering it's D3 I don't know how much this can help me as far as admittance.
Lots of ECs: Team captain for Indoor and Outdoor track, N.A.A.C.P, plenty Community service (tutoring inner city kids)
Awards: National Achievement Scholarship Semi-Finalist

I've got really good recs from my guidance counselor and teachers, mainly because they see a lot of potential and want me to succeed, and my biggest strength is writing, so my essay is pretty good, if I say so myself.

I'm from NY: In another thread Carolyn said they're trying very hard to get geographic diversity, and I also got this vibe, the head of admissions, Jack Frost, was REALLY cool to me, I figure because Hendrix doesn't get a lot of black students from New York with 1390 SATs.

Anyways, Carolyn was pretty optimistic about my chances and she's very well-informed, but I was curious if any of you are familiar with the school at all, and if so, what your opinion is.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

It's arkansas, in the middle of nowhere. nuf said. unless you want to feel like Paris hilton or nikki i'd look elsewhere. you have lots of options, don't shortchange yourself.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Hendrix is a great school - kind of like Arkansas' Grinnell in terms of atmosphere. Everyone on CC who has taken the time to visit it comes back with very positive reviews. You already know I think you have a decent shot. However, it can't hurt to have a back up plan just in case. Good luck!

By Pastyvoigt (Pastyvoigt) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Note: EDITED

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

She meant that Hendrix is the Grinnell of Arkansas (e.g., Chicago is the Harvard of the Midwest)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Thank you Sooky - I'm not saying that Hendrix, although a great school, is anywhere near the quality of academics at Grinnell, but rather that Hendrix has the same sort of liberal atmosphere as Grinnell. I think that comes as a surprise to many people who think Arkansas is full of red necks (the Clintons not withstanding).

By Kinshasa (Kinshasa) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I thought Northwestern was the Harvard of the Midwest?

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

what you see with Paris and Nikki is Arkansas. It doesn't get any better. It is like a Third World nation.

you can express yourself quite well. you have a very good SAT. your grades aren't good.

there are a ton of schools in better locales that would be very happy to talk to someone with your capabilites. Especially Jesuit schools located in urban areas. You could get tremendous financial aid and an outstanding education.

Go for it. You deserve better than Hendrix.

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Northwestern is considered the Penn of the midwest because it's students are more communicative, artisits, diverse, wellrounded and down to earth, not cut-throat academics. EXCELLENT academics, just not cut-throat like harvard. Chicago is a great school too, but all they think about is academics...much like harvardians.

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

harvard is cut-throat academics? i thought that there are alot of grade inflations at harvard.

By Culovv (Culovv) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

Hendrix is a safety, but since it is your first choice (or maybe you just wouldnt mind going there), it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a few more.

By Omgninjas (Omgninjas) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

The location isn't a concern. I have lots of family in Little Rock and Memphis, and Hendrix is pretty close to both cities. I understand what Arkansas is like as well, I've spent a lot of time in the south. Besides, Hendrix isn't out in the country, it's in a middle of a town with a ton of college students.

By Mnm86 (Mnm86) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

btw everybody -- omgninjas as asking about his chances at hendrix. maybe suggesting similar colleges could be part of the advice you give him/her but bashing his first choice because you look for different things in a college is just plain offensive.

so what if most of the posters here look for an urban environment if Omgninjas is interested in being in the rural south? that's his opinion, and personally, though i wanted an urban campus too, i could see how living in arkansas for 4 years would be an extremely valuable experience for a NYker. most north-easterners are out of touch with the south, and simply attending college there, in my opnion could be an extremely interesting and enriching experience for Omgninjas.

lastly -- college is less about where it is than about what an individual makes of it. if Omgninjas goes to college with the positive outlook he/she has now, he/she will be more likely to enjoy his/her experience there.

don't bash taste differences, please, that's just childish.

that said, omgninjas, i don't know much about hendrix college, and therefore cannot suggest similar ones to add to your list. make sure you communicate your enthusiasm on your app, it will certainly help. tell them they're your 1st choice in your cover letter if that remains the case. maybe you could tell the posters here what made you fall in love with hendrix and enlighten us about the school you seem to love so much.

By Omgninjas (Omgninjas) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

My main thing was to find the best school, academic-wise, that I could actually get into. Now obviously I'm not going to be able to pry into the minds of all the admissions officers, but believe me, I've done lots of research, and judging on the things I've got going for me, and the things Hendrix is looking for, I thought it was an attainable goal, especially considering Hendrix is very under-rated, and not as popular as it should be, imo.

As said before, Hendrix is in the south, and although I've got no special love for Arkansas, most of my family is down there in that area(Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock), and honestly I'm a bit tired of living in the frigid North. I wanted a small school with a track team and plenty of activity in intramural sports. Most LACs in the south are very conservative, and very big on frats, and those were two things I wanted to avoid.

So sure, it looked good on paper, but I had to visit to reinforce my opinion. First thing, Conway sucks, big time, but it's not too far from Little Rock. There were lots of other college students around, as University of Central Arkansas was right near Hendrix, and kids told me if there was nothing going on at Hendrix they could stop by there for something to do. The campus was great, and the students were cool to talk to, some were as eccentric as I'd heard, a lot weren't. Another big thing is how much attention they paid to all of the prospectives during the visit. The tour was very detailed, and we got to talk 1 on 1 with a professor of our choice, sit in on a variety of classes, and all in all they made me feel like they WANTED me to go to their school. Now obviously, they don't know how much my grades suck, but hopefully they'll be able to overlook my one glaring flaw.

By Omgninjas (Omgninjas) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

To Culovv, are you saying Hendrix is a safety for me, or simply a safety overall? I have a heard time believing any school with less than 100% admissions rate could be a "safety" for me.

By Eadad (Eadad) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

The son of a good friend attended Hendrix and had a great experience. He is from Dallas and while not NYC, it is a big city. Surprisingly he didn't come home any more than someone who lived farther away because of sports committments. He and his parents are BIG fans of the place. He was a soccer player there. I wouldn't diminish Div 3 athletics....there are a lot of really good athletes who don't have the desire to go to a Div 1 meat grinder type of program.... it's not just about size or talent level.

He is now in his first year of law school.

The high admission rate is more a factor of the lower number of applicants than the lack of selectivity by the way.

By Omgninjas (Omgninjas) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

I don't see where I diminish Div 3 athletics at all, perhaps you should re-read my post.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page