Chances @ REED, U of CHI...cmon rate me pleaz...ill rate you

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances @ REED, U of CHI...cmon rate me pleaz...ill rate you
By Phishphan (Phishphan) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I am junior at catholic parochial school in calfironia. I am looking into U of Chicago for early action and Reed College. My question is...can I get into REED..what are my chances??? (oh i intend on majoring in econ/intl relations/prelaw or premed)

i am in love with nature/economics/reading/beat generation...anyone know a good college for me?

white female (i know that sucks)

Ap Euro 5 (A both semesters)
Ap Bio 3 (B both semesters)
World His SAT II 740!!
Bio Sat II 660 (not usin it)
PSAT 1250 (will go up to 1300-1400)

enrolled in 8 classes, all honors cept mathematics

president/founder Model UN 3 yrs
president/founder Amnesty Intl 1 yr
front page editor of newspaper 1 yr, staff 1 yr
liteary mag photo editor and staff 3 yr
acedemic league captian 3 yr

march of dimes chain reaction youth council AND legislative chair 1 yr +

volunteer 20 hours at library
volunteer 40 hours at boys/girls club

participated on 1 month wilderness work crew in summer --through Student Conservation Association

Hugh O brien Youth leadership award
writing journalism award 10th grade
rookie of the year acedemic league
MVP JV Academic League

class rank is like 45/368 (top 12%)
on honor rolls
3.8 ish GPA weighted i think

By Admitmeplz (Admitmeplz) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Well the U of Chicago deadline has passed

By Beramod (Beramod) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

Admitmeplz, unless she's skipping her senior year and going to college, she has a year left for her deadline...

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

I'd suggest you also take a look at Whitman College in Washington state - excellent school and they have an amazing program called semester in the west where students travel around the western states studying environmental, political, and social issues.

Lewis & Clark might make a good back up for you for Reed. Oberlin might also be worth a look.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:06 am: Edit

reed is a dark and depressing place

stellar academics

stellar ACID SCENE if that's what you're into

By Cadettony (Cadettony) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Yeah, SCA-alumni!!
I was on a work crew in the Cascades in WA. It was awesome.

Good luck with your apps.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

SCA? that sounds really cool. is it kind of like americorps? how do you get involved with it?

By Cadettony (Cadettony) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

SCA- Student Conservation Association

It's basically backcountry work- General trail maintenance (digging ditches, making waterbars, shrubbing, minor construction, various bridge/puncheon projects, etc.) and living in the woods for 3-5 weeks without McDonald's, showers, heat, or running water (except perhaps a river or lake) with 5-9 total strangers from across the country. You can be on an isolated glacier in Alaska's Denali NP counting moose, chopping down hanging deadwood in Appalachia, or building switchbacks in the Grand Canyon- they have literally hundreds of places and projects to choose from (the nice ones in Hawaii and California are VERY hard to get into- you can choose your top 3- try the Tennessee or Washington ones; I hear they're underrated).

Be advised it's very competitive (females/minorities and urbanites get some aff. action, though) but it's free for all accepted applicants, courtesy of the Forest Service or other whatever gov't organization you're helping out that summer. The only actual costs are travel and personal gear expenses.

One of the best experiences of my life (I think Phishphan will agree). Highly recommended, and not just for resume padding, either. Definitely not for the faint of heart or people who are allergic to pollen. I learned many things during my SCA-High School Conservation Work Crew; skills that I applied in my job this past summer as a seasonal park ranger in Wyoming. You get to work with great people, too. It's been over six years, and I still keep in touch with some of my SCA buddies.

Google "Student Conservation Assoc." for the webpage. If you apply now, you can still get in for this summer. Good luck to all.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:13 am: Edit

do you have to be in high school?
what kind of credentials or experience do they look for in choosing applicants?

By Cadettony (Cadettony) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

The SCA-High School CWC program is for HS students 16-19.

But they have other conservation programs specifically designed for college students called internships and stuff. Check out the website.

Credentials: As long as you're not out-of-shape, they'll take you. Of course, being active and and outdoorsy person helps. There's also a lengthy application to fill out, so the SCA leaders can choose their own crew. Specifically, females and minorities will have a better chance of getting selected (It used to be 1 for every 4 applicants, now it's 1 for every 6-7, or so I hear). If you have any interest in this program, it wouldn't hurt to try applying- after all, it's free.

Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page